Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 57 Reissue R7 Help

lovehifi

I am new here so I hope I am posting in the right forum. Anyway I just bought a 2002 R7. It has the Burstbuster 1 and 2. When I raise my bridge pickup to where I think it sounds best I can not equal the volume levels between the bridge and neck pickups. When I raise the neck pickup to equal volume that pickup becomes unclean and muddy. Any suggestions? Also I am having a hard time keeping the G and B strings in tune with the vintage style tuners. It may be a nut issue but find it interesting that sometimes both strings actually tune up (higher) by themselves. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply. Well with the pickups it just took some more adjusting. I ended up lowering the neck and bridge PUs a tad for better clarity. On the neck I brought up the pole pieces a little on the G and D strings while adjusting down the B string a half turn and so far much better. I'm still messing with it a bit though. On not being able to keep in tune there were two issues. One, me being new to the vintage style tuners, it was because I wasn't tucking and winding the strings correctly. Also the nut was hanging up on the B and G strings. I took a very fine piece of sandpaper and ran it through the slots on the nut very very lightly. The previous owner had left the same strings on for 10 years so the nut had a little corrosion from the strings. I didn't want to cut the slot down any further but just wanted to clean it out and smooth it out which worked like a charm. So everything is coming together nicely.

post-63865-028306700 1394811516_thumb.jpg

Archived