Gibson Brands Forums

Blueshawk

daveinspain

Yeah I think they are cool guitars too... I don't have one but I almost bought a 2009 (which is the model I REALLY wanted for the pup combo).. BUT I missed it by a few hours and ended up getting a Gary Moore BFG instead..

If I were in the market for a guitar today I would certainly consider one of these.

the 2009

39574600-c8e4-4f13-9901-cb10bac13a2f_zps42ad1867.jpg

I used to own one in the Chicago Blue finish. I'm 6'2" and at 200 lbs I found this guitar too "little" for my liking. Felt like I was playing a miniature guitar so I sold it. It was great for sitting down and playing but not for gigging for me so it got whittled out of the collection. Same with a Nighthawk Special (3 pup) model. Went away for the same reason. Cool guitars - just not the right fit for me. [mellow]

I would agree about the spec - interests me no end especially the P90s + varitone. There are three aspects I don't like:

1) Plain unbound fingerboard

2) I would have preferred the Crown position markers or something else more blingy like ES345 markers.

3) I much prefer sunburst to any self-colour guitar.

None of the above would actually stop me buying one however for a good price.

I think the designer had some licensing rights to it or something so when they sell them he gets a cut. The guy is JT Riboloff. I don't know if he was the guy behind the Blues-90 pickups on them that were a stacked hum resistant dummy coil reverse wound double coil design that gave a clearer tone at higher volumes without as much hum/buzz as the original P90...

I think the tone on these guitars was sublime! I want one in Chicago Blue which my research shows is much rarer than the red and possibly even the ebony color versions...

JT Riboloff went to Samick of all places/guitar manufacurers. I have a feeling he may have worn-out his welcome with Gibson for some reason or other and possibly other higher end makers too. IMHO Samick is the Walmart Value-Time brand of guitar makers and I've found their guitars to be some of the worst quality out of the Chinese factories that I've ever seen in this country... They had amazing colors and finishes with lots of bling and visual appeal but their necks are terrible as are their fret-jobs and I've seen some that were unplayable the necks were so bad with buzz and dead spots...

The guy had some very piquant guitar designs and ideas and like I said I don't know if he was the guy behind the Blues-90 pickups or if they were just utilized on his guitar design but made and designed by someone else...

I'd love a set of Blues-90s I think the tone out of 'em is truly amazing! Those guitars simply sound awesome too! But I'd put a set on an R6 Goldtop!

I never thought much of the Nighthawk, but I do like those Blueshawks!

Blueshawk, Don't understand why this guitar didn't make it.

The main reason is because it was not a not a copy of a 59... in a red and orange burst. [thumbdn]

Yes, it didn't make it because it was never offered in a "tasteful" burst color...

[razz]

...There are three aspects I don't like:

1) Plain unbound fingerboard

2) I would have preferred the Crown position markers or something else more blingy like ES345 markers.

3) I much prefer sunburst to any self-colour guitar.

What about one of these? I remember thinking it was pretty sweet when it came out.

Not a Blueshawk, of course, but it's cousin, the Nancy Wilson sig Nighthawk;

NancyNighthawk-630-80_zpscbfac294.jpg

Mind you; I'm rather partial to a 'Tasteful 'Burst'......................:P

P.

What about one of these? I remember thinking it was pretty sweet when it came out.

Not a Blueshawk, of course, but it's cousin, the Nancy Wilson sig Nighthawk;

NancyNighthawk-630-80_zpscbfac294.jpg

Mind you; I'm rather partial to a 'Tasteful 'Burst'......................:P

P.

I never saw that one. I kinda like it...

That color on a Blueshawk may have sold quite well...

Especially with those nice inlays.

It does have a certain appeal...

I've never held one and don't know how I'd be with the smaller body size... I'm sure it's probably a great axe...

I have never seen one in the flesh - can't be many about especially in the UK.

Nor have I seen one 'in the wood' but there's currently one in Reading if you are anywhere near...

£1,099 doesn't seem too outrageous either!

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-nancy-wilson-nighthawk-standard-electric-guitar?gclid=CM-v-dT2h70CFWjpwgod1wMANA

P.

I've been high jacked…. [scared] This thread was actually about Blueshawks,,,, ](*,)

I really GASsed for a Blues Hawk a few years ago, but the were out of production and nothing on eBay looked good.

Then I bought my Parker DF and GAS for everything else went away. I've got one with P-Rail pups.

If I didn't have the DF, I'd still be Gassing for a Blues Hawk.

I don't care about neck inlays, small guitars are fine with me, the longer scale is more comfortable to me, and I love the sound of P90 pickups.

After playing a few guitars with P90s for a few years, everything else sounds comparatively dull and lifeless.

Notes

I've been high jacked…. [scared]

Sorry!

Partly my bad.

OK, to look at the issue seriously I think both Pin and Notes have mentioned most of the reasons from opposing sides.

Let's look at the specs of the Nighthawk Blueshawk;

Scale length : 25.5". Most Gibson's have a 24 3/4". Perhaps the longer scale length put regular Gibson pickers off?

P'ups : Two P-90s. Since 1957 most Gibson players have seemed to prefer full-size h'buckers given the choice.

Body : Two hollowed-out sound-chambers but in a body smaller than a Les Paul. Lack of precedence, perhaps, counted against it?

Neck : Simple markers and unbound neck made it less attractive to potential buyers?

Finish : Red, Blue, Black. Hardly pushing the envelope...

Bridge : Too 'Fender' in design?

And I don't think putting the name on the bass-side upper bout helped it much in the 'Class' stakes, either.

All-in-all perhaps it was a case of 'The Curate's Egg'? Neither Flesh nor Fowl nor Good Red Herring for the public's taste?

In some ways it was a restrained design but in others it was something totally new. It might be that this 'dual-personality' was a big problem?

P.

All valid points Pippy... I wound up with two by accident, I was gassing for one bad back in my guitar buying days and was bidding on the two in ebay... Won both ](*,) I do like the guitar but iI don't need two, one will go up for sale. The two i have are in perfect condition too, one's a 1997 and the other a 1998 if anyone is interested...

• 1 year later...

Thought I would resurrect this thread, looks like there has not been much discussion about BluesHawks in a while. In the last year I have been more active in a local amateur blues scene playing jams and open mics and even though I tried to replace my BluesHawk with a new PRS SE Custom 24 it still remains my go-to guitar. The PRS can't come close to the 'hawk in tone and you just can't beat the comfort factor when playing while standing - some of our jam sessions go for hours. I just love this guitar and it surprises me how much attention it gets. I don't know if it is the sound or looks but someone is alway coming up to me asking about it, like last night at an open mic, and this guy was quite a gear head. I was so lucky to stumble across this guiitar used about twelve years ago, I can't see ever selling it. If fact I am thinking about putting the PRS up for sale and putting the money towards a amp upgrade.

I've been high jacked…. [scared] This thread was actually about Blueshawks,,,, ](*,)

Hi-jacked AND resurrected.

Who says the Blueshawk/Nighthawk didn't make it? It was one of the most successful designs and sellers to come around.

Well, now you have me confused. I have been looking at a "Little Lucille". I don't know if it is a Blueshawk or Nighthawk. [confused] But I really like the feel of it and the light weight. I am going in for some surgery so won't be aroud for a while. But when I'm up and around again I think I'll see if he still has it.

I believe that they are very similar, Wikipedia says the tail pieces are different. Same pickups, construction, neck, trim, etc.

Well, now you have me confused. I have been looking at a "Little Lucille". I don't know if it is a Blueshawk or Nighthawk. [confused] But I really like the feel of it and the light weight. I am going in for some surgery so won't be aroud for a while. But when I'm up and around again I think I'll see if he still has it.

The "Little Lucille" guitars are Blueshawk takeoffs.

I see that Epiphone has a new run of Blueshawks out this spring.

These should be interesting as they are 'hog bodies with maple cap.

Not gibbys but they may be the for-runner of a fresh batch of 'hawks. [thumbup]

Got my fingers crossed anyway.

Archived