Gibson Brands Forums

Body cavities - Gibson Custom Les Paul 1957 VOS Black Beauty - Historic Collection

AleScholz

Hi!

I am a happy owner of a Gibson Les Paul Custom 1957 VOS (Black Beauty).

I read on the Gibson website, the guitars do not have paint on the body cavities.

I did a check on my guitar and found that only the cavity of the arm it has no ink, and the long neck tenon appears.

post-63996-064754400 1394401629_thumb.jpg

In the cavity of the bridge pickup there is ink.

post-63996-097444500 1394401683_thumb.jpg

In the rear cavities too.

This may indicate that this guitar suffered some repair, or these guitars leave the factory like that?

Hello Ale, up to now I didn't read on Gibson sites about no spray in the cavities.

I have to say that most of my Gibsons are colourless transparent finished, but the coloured ones have some stain or tinted spray in their cavities. They are not glossy finished, but both stain respectively coloured spray and in case of glossy finishes uncoloured top spray are clearly obvious.

I know for sure there have been no repairs, so this has to be from the factory. However, I never thought about it before.

Perhaps they covered the mortise/tenon area while finishing yours?

Hope this helps...

Hello Ale, up to now I didn't read on Gibson sites about no spray in the cavities.

I have to say that most of my Gibsons are colourless transparent finished, but the coloured ones have some stain or tinted spray in their cavities. They are not glossy finished, but both stain respectively coloured spray and in case of glossy finishes uncoloured top spray are clearly obvious.

I know for sure there have been no repairs, so this has to be from the factory. However, I never thought about it before.

Perhaps they covered the mortise/tenon area while finishing yours?

Hope this helps...

Helps a lot, my friend! Thank you very much!

I read about it here: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/CounterfeitGibsons.aspx

But in fact, I have not read so carefully. The text refers to painting background, done in black, for guitars of different colors. As you said, in my guitar it seems a stain or a tinted spray.

As I said, your answer helped me a lot because I could better interpret the text I read on the gibson website. The photo that appears there, including, shows what you narrated about your guitars (about the original ones).

Thanks!!

The paint in the cavities should not be an indication of repair or of a fake. As you can see in this photo of this 339 taken in the shop, there is paint in the pickup cavities. Even more than one color. The neck pickup cavity has paint. The bridge pickup cavity has tape in it and when done, and the tape is pulled off, the cavity will not have paint in it. The area in yours looks like it had tape in it when it was painted. I have seen where they put hand written notes on tape in that area before it goes into the paint booth. It may have been painted and then the tape removed. Do not use the paint in cavities as an absolute rule.

painted.JPG

Archived