Gibson Brands Forums

EDS-1275

Zlofengir

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is such a unique axe and in how many situations do you really need it. I would love to have one to play Xanadu, but can't justify purchasing one, when I could probably buy 2 or 3 guitars instead of one(which is acutally two).

Definintely a unique guitar FZ Fan, and not a lot of cats play 12 string (acoustic or electric), but for those of us who do, they are the greatest thing since sliced cheese. It's amazing how many situations arise to use one come up once you acquire one; I find myself playing more since I got mine, and doing stuff on the 12 string neck that I wouldn't do on a 6.

As far as justification, Gibson has discontinued them, along with the V and Explorer; the prices are only going to go up from here. Cost wise, Gibson has single necked guitars that cost MUCH more; this being the case, the EDS-1275 is a bargain.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I own the attached EDS-1275. I don't blame Gibson for giving up on us...I'm just glad I got mine when I did. But maybe Gibson will make more of them once they see what I did to mine...

Technically, I don't own a EDS-1275 atm. However, I will in the near future. My local shop has ordered one for me. Bear in mind, I live in The Netherlands...so, it could take a long while before it's here.

• 1 month later...

I've got an Epi and a Gibby (cherry and white), and they're invaluable. Wouldn't be without them.

Hey Richie, like the idea mate! The gimble bucket might get in the way though (lol). Sort of Dennis Braid meets Jimmy Page!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an Epi and a Gibby (cherry and white), and they're invaluable. Wouldn't be without them.

Hey Richie, like the idea mate! The gimble bucket might get in the way though (lol). Sort of Dennis Braid meets Jimmy Page!

How does the white lacquer hold up over time? I know the finish gets yellow over time. But what I kind of want to know, is how easily it gets stained by outside influences? Fingerprints, dust, etc. I'm getting a Heritage Cherry, but I'd still like to know.

How does the white lacquer hold up over time? I know the finish gets yellow over time. But what I kind of want to know, is how easily it gets stained by outside influences? Fingerprints, dust, etc. I'm getting a Heritage Cherry, but I'd still like to know.

My 70s white has gone nice and creamy, and certainly needs less attention than a black to keep it looking snappy

Why did Gibson go from 1-piece Mahogany necks to 3-piece Maple necks? Did customers suffer from neck-breaks, of what? Maple is a much harder wood, obviously. As for tone, I don't think wood has much to do with it...so, I'm not going for that. Also, did the EDS-1275 always have 20 frets? If not and with 22 or 24 frets, those necks would have been pretty fragile.

I think they're pretty cool but unless I somehow come into a massive financial windfall I'll never have one. It wouldn't get used enough to justify the cost in my case.

Yeah Steve, they ain't cheap; it took me many years to acquire mine. Yes, it spends more time in the case than it does getting played these days, only because I don't want to risk damage to it. But, I did get it mainly for studio use; when the need arises, it will be there.

Yeah Steve, they ain't cheap; it took me many years to acquire mine. Yes, it spends more time in the case than it does getting played these days, only because I don't want to risk damage to it. But, I did get it mainly for studio use; when the need arises, it will be there.

That's true. I believe too many people just buy this guitar for the wrong reasons. If you just buy a Gibson double neck because it makes you look cool, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The coolness wears off pretty fast, if that's the only reason you bought the guitar. You got the guitar for a great reason, because the versatility of the instrument makes it a great studio guitar. With a guitar like the EDS-1275, one needs to be realistic about how much it's going to be used and why.

If I wanted a double neck solely for the reason it makes me look good, I would never buy a Gibson version. I would buy the Epiphone one, for sure. As you said, the Gibson isn't cheap...but it - is - a pretty significant upgrade, though. I played both, and I didn't like the Epiphone. I played the Gibson (in Alpine White with gold hardware) before that, and I noticed the difference straight away. I will take the EDS-1275 out on stage, as well as use it for studio work...so I want my guitar to sound great. I will use the EDS-1275 for about 1/3 of the total songs I (am going to) play; the rest of the songs are accounted for by using different guitars.

That's quite a lot, actually. I see many people that will only use the thing for like 2 songs on an entire set. That's such a shame. It's such a great sounding guitar. Must be the weight, I guess. Or the fact that some songs ask for good upper fret access, which is a lot harder on this guitar. Anyway, this guitar is one you have to work with, really. It's certainly not for everyone. But us, lucky and determined few, get the most out of it.

That's true. I believe too many people just buy this guitar for the wrong reasons. If you just buy a Gibson double neck because it makes you look cool, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The coolness wears off pretty fast, if that's the only reason you bought the guitar. You got the guitar for a great reason, because the versatility of the instrument makes it a great studio guitar. With a guitar like the EDS-1275, one needs to be realistic about how much it's going to be used and why.

I saw my first one in a music store window in 1976, long before I knew how to play; but then and there I wanted to learn guitar just to get one. I had only tried two prior to buying mine off of Ebay, a '02 Custom Shop, and a Don Felder which I missed getting by a month; but I'm quite happy with my Cherry monstrosity... I just wish people would stop saying "Jimmy Page guitar" every time I pull it out. I'm a McLaughlin guy. LOL

Yeah, I know. People always think you're trying to be the next Jimmy Page, whilst I play a ton of other stuff. I ordered one, because I like electric 12-string a lot, and I want to have the versatility so that I can switch fast for a solo or power chord stuff. Another big reason is I like to write instrumental music, so I like the fact this guitar gives me options. I now have more avenues to explore. Mine will be a cherry, too, by the way. Not to look like Jimmy Page, but because you can actually see the grain. I saw the White in person, as wel. Just didn't like that one with the gold parts, and everything.

Personally, I am more a Jimmy Page guy...just because of the genre of music I like to play. That fusion style of McLaughlin is like going to a different kind of dimension. What I admire about him, though, is the fact he stood on stage with an EDS-1275 for an entire show. He used this monstrosity for most, if not all, of their songs. Great technique, too. Didn't Page take some lessons from McLaughlin at some point? Anyway, truly cool to see an EDS-1275 get used all show long. It's quite unique. Lifeson, Page, Slash, Felder...they used it for a couple of songs tops, but McLaughlin didn't put it down. He must have had a real strong back and shoulders. This guy got a great sound out of his EDS-1275, without using many effects. Same goes for Page.

Have you made any modifications to your guitar? If you truly want to be mistaken for Jimmy Page, you need to get the metal cap off the pick-ups on the 6-string. That's basically asking for it. I know there are more differences between the Page model and the regular one, but that's one adjustment you could elect to make without having to drastically alter the guitar.

Archived