Gibson Brands Forums

Help dating an old Gibson

Travismcminn

Hello,

My dad has an old gibson in near perfect shape, his dad gave it to him when he was 5 years old. His dad was given the guitar back sometime in the late 1940's by a woman who claimed her husband had owned the guitar for almost 50 years, that would put the guitar being made around the turn of the century. However, im thinking it was made diring the 30's. Ive attached some pictures. Were just trying to figure out exactly how old it is and what it might be worth today. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Travis

Looks like you have a pretty little L00, (with changed out tuners?). 30's era. Got mine for a song...$1950. Think it's now worth about 3G's.

There's a number hiding up on the neck block, but you'll need a flashlight to see it inside at the base of where the neck meets the body.

Near perfect? If it's all original the value could push closer to $4,000. The buttons were probably changed, at least from the pics. The old ones probably disintegrated. You don't show the tuners, so we can't ID.

This guitar has been refinished but it's fairly good work. That puts a pretty good hit on market value but it's probably still a great guitar.

You know the guitar then?

I agree on the market price 'hit'....Whenever I sold a re-fin, I took a hit [thumbup]

I haven't inspected the guitar personally but I can tell that the burst is not correct. I think they may have left the front of the headstock as is or possibly oversprayed it. The rest of it has been stripped and refinished.

Archived