Gibson Brands Forums

1946 Southern Jumbo at Willies

duluthdan

There is a 1946 Southern Jumbo at Willies. From the pics it looks in good shape. Is that price in line with today's market? I am admittedly not a vintage guy, and certainly not at any real distance above $5,000. I am of the belief that I would buy a 'minty" instrument with no cracks, great neck angle, all original, and end up two years later with a problem or six. But, that being said, this sure looks desirable...

http://williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_acoustics/7/inventory/7

Its a banner SJ hence...

Good catch. Now; anyone want to tell Willy that? Then we'll really watch the price hike. And thanks for the 'hence'.

Is that price in line with today's market?

Looking at their other Gibson acoustic listings, this asking price seems to mostly be in line with Willie's pricing. I'd like to see what's under that 3rd pearl dot on the bridge, which may've pulled on the top at one time sufficiently enough to cause that cross grain break south of the bridge. Noting how the bridge is showing some cupping in the high-res side view (thanks to Willie's, however, for photo disclosure. Description yet to be added).

Here is a '46 which has seen some bridge work, more moderately priced. Price should be able to be negotiated down closer to $5K to allow for a neck reset. Nice mosaic pattern on pickguard.

a 1946 Southern Jumbo

ScreenShot2014-03-15at73734AM_zps2b14c37f.png

Its a banner SJ hence it would have to be 45' or before as 46' is when the banner disappeared. Seems a fair price for a banner SJ.

I would love to try it out. I played a 40s J45 at Buffalo Brothers a few years ago that sounded like my holy grail - I just couldnt justify the price, plus I was in California on business and didn't think I should be carrying a guitar between meetings :)

My own experience from my own buying and selling is that they are always fairly priced when you buy them, but when you go to sell them... different story. But maybe that's testament to my valuation skills.

That looks like the one that was on Ebay 2 weeks ago..

The one from Willy's or the one 62 Burst posted? The second one is mine so I know it wasn't on eBay. It came to me from a friend in Arizona.

EA: The banner was still used until sometime in 1946. It would be nice if all the appointments changed on January 1 of each year but it didn't work like that. The changes came gradually. Even so, with the multi laminate neck and what appears to be an Adirondack top, I would put this guitar sometime late 1942 to mid 1944.

The one from Willy's or the one 62 Burst posted? The second one is mine so I know it wasn't on eBay. It came to me from a friend in Arizona.

EA: The banner was still used until sometime in 1946. It would be nice if all the appointments changed on January 1 of each year but it didn't work like that. The changes came gradually. Even so, with the multi laminate neck and what appears to be an Adirondack top, I would put this guitar sometime late 1942 to mid 1944.

The one Willys has... there was one on Ebay that went fairly cheap.. and it was really nice..

Never seen a post-War Gibson with a Banner. The only way I would believe it would be seeing an FON or original bill of sale. But since many 1945 and 1946 Gibsons have no FONs it would be hard as heck to prove this guitar is an exception to the rule.

$9k now unless I'm missing something

Gov- maybe you'd missed that I had offered the Gbase 1946 SoJo listing as a more reasonable alternative to Willie's pricier listing.

So, John (TVguit); that's your SJ on Gbase, then? Could you offer a little info on the Bridge Helper, and that beautiful pickguard (orig?) Now I recognize your piano in the listing (and the tweed)!

I would love to try it out. I played a 40s J45 at Buffalo Brothers a few years ago that sounded like my holy grail - I just couldnt justify the price, plus I was in California on business and didn't think I should be carrying a guitar between meetings :)

My own experience from my own buying and selling is that they are always fairly priced when you buy them, but when you go to sell them... different story. But maybe that's testament to my valuation skills.

Hey Sal, I have had the same experiences with buying/selling from the 'Mongrels'....

Good catch. Now; anyone want to tell Willy that? Then we'll really watch the price hike. And thanks for the 'hence'.

Looking at their other Gibson acoustic listings, this asking price seems to mostly be in line with Willie's pricing. I'd like to see what's under that 3rd pearl dot on the bridge, which may've pulled on the top at one time sufficiently enough to cause that cross grain break south of the bridge. Noting how the bridge is showing some cupping in the high-res side view (thanks to Willie's, however, for photo disclosure. Description yet to be added).

Here is a '46 which has seen some bridge work, more moderately priced. Price should be able to be negotiated down closer to $5K to allow for a neck reset. Nice mosaic pattern on pickguard.

a 1946 Southern Jumbo

ScreenShot2014-03-15at73734AM_zps2b14c37f.png

Pretty guitar....But it isn't a Banner.....

Gov- maybe you'd missed that I had offered the Gbase 1946 SoJo listing as a more reasonable alternative to Willie's pricier listing.

So, John (TVguit); that's your SJ on Gbase, then? Could you offer a little info on the Bridge Helper, and that beautiful pickguard (orig?) Now I recognize your piano in the listing (and the tweed)!

Yes, that's me. This guitar saw a very good luthier sometime in the late 1980s. His work was top notch (the reglued braces are very tidy and tight) but we differ a bit on how some of the work should be done. The original bridge plate failed as many of them do so he put another one glued right on top of the old. I'm going to have my luthier take it out and repair the original plate but he's backed up right now so I haven't brought it to him. The pickguard is original to the guitar but it has been reglued. I think the pictures make it stand out a bit more than it does in person.

Archived