Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1984 Gibson SG What model is this ?

#1 User is offline   brianconnarty 

• Group: Members
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi , I bought this 1984 SG on Ebay back in November 2009 ( serial number 81784512 ) and would like to find out more about it ? It has 2 pick ups and 3 controls.
I posted at the time but didn't have any photos.
cheers Brian (Scotland).

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  image.jpg (125.21K)
    Number of downloads: 671
  • Attached File  image.jpg (151.54K)
    Number of downloads: 398
  • Attached File  image.jpg (139.35K)
    Number of downloads: 303

#2 User is offline   retrorod 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hey Brian,
If you are still out there? This looks to be a two pickup SG Special or Special II.....the description is of a 3 knob with top-mounted jack and selector switch. There were many 'crazy' variants of the SG around this time period for some reason???

Cheers to ya!
Rod
"You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from."--Cormac McCarthy

"It requires wisdom to understand wisdom: the music is nothing if the audience is deaf.

-Walter Lippman

Just because I don't say it....does not mean, that I may not think it! - ME

#3 User is offline   brianconnarty 

• Group: Members
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hi Rod, I'm still out here !Thanks for your reply.What is the difference between the Special and the Special II ?and would it have left the factory like this ? ( eg. With pickguard fitted, or would it have been added later ? )any help is greatly appreciated, cheers Brian.

#4 User is offline   capmaster 

• Fretboard Seizer
  • Group: All Access
  • Locationnear Munich, Upper Bavaria, Germany

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

View Postbrianconnarty, on 30 March 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Hi Rod, I'm still out here !Thanks for your reply.What is the difference between the Special and the Special II ?and would it have left the factory like this ? ( eg. With pickguard fitted, or would it have been added later ? )any help is greatly appreciated, cheers Brian.

Hello Brian, I believe it came stock this way, but I am not an expert. There had been Gibson's "The Paul" and "The SG" series before which didn't catch on as planned. So they changed hands and went back to designs of the more familiar kind, slightly modified for reducing production costs. 1984 wasn't a funny year for Gibson. I don't remember your particular model though.

Perhaps it is a good idea to post this topic into the Gibson USA SG subforum. Some great SG experts with lots of knowledge and huge experience meet there. I guess they usually don't assume an SG topic to be in the Gibson Original Instruments subforum. Just a tip from here that might be helpful.
DVCVNT VOLENTEM FATA NOLENTEM TRAHVNT
(The Fates lead the willing and drag those who are unwilling.)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users