Gibson Brands Forums

1984 Gibson SG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian,

If you are still out there? This looks to be a two pickup SG Special or Special II.....the description is of a 3 knob with top-mounted jack and selector switch. There were many 'crazy' variants of the SG around this time period for some reason???

Cheers to ya!

Rod

Hi Rod, I'm still out here !Thanks for your reply.What is the difference between the Special and the Special II ?and would it have left the factory like this ? ( eg. With pickguard fitted, or would it have been added later ? )any help is greatly appreciated, cheers Brian.

Hi Rod, I'm still out here !Thanks for your reply.What is the difference between the Special and the Special II ?and would it have left the factory like this ? ( eg. With pickguard fitted, or would it have been added later ? )any help is greatly appreciated, cheers Brian.

Hello Brian, I believe it came stock this way, but I am not an expert. There had been Gibson's "The Paul" and "The SG" series before which didn't catch on as planned. So they changed hands and went back to designs of the more familiar kind, slightly modified for reducing production costs. 1984 wasn't a funny year for Gibson. I don't remember your particular model though.

Perhaps it is a good idea to post this topic into the Gibson USA SG subforum. Some great SG experts with lots of knowledge and huge experience meet there. I guess they usually don't assume an SG topic to be in the Gibson Original Instruments subforum. Just a tip from here that might be helpful.

Archived