Gibson Brands Forums

Re- bracing My Old L0

The former owner of of my '31 L0 12 fretter noticed that the top was sagging, so he glued in some good ol' lumber yard half inch cove mould creating a 'ladder brace' to override the original X. Miraculously, it doesn't seem to affect the tone much. I'm getting ready to pull the back and replace the cob job. Can anyone tell me where to shop appropriate bracing stock?

Big thanks!

Hey Jedzep,

Sounds like a great project. I am sure there are others, but StewMac is a great place to start. They sell 'pre-made' bracing kits as well as 'carve-your-own' brace stock. I bought some stock and had intentions of replacing a 'replaced' back brace on my '48 SJ. However, I have had enough 'paying' repairs around the shop to keep me from 'getting bored'..... [wink]

Hey Jedzep,

Sounds like a great project. I am sure there are others, but StewMac is a great place to start. They sell 'pre-made' bracing kits as well as 'carve-your-own' brace stock. I bought some stock and had intentions of replacing a 'replaced' back brace on my '48 SJ. However, I have had enough 'paying' repairs around the shop to keep me from 'getting bored'..... [wink]

Hi Rod. Any reason why this can't be done from the back? It was suggested that the top needed to be removed.

I did ask Slimt. I'm sure he'll explain. Nick suggests it's to extend the brace to the very edge of the top, which makes sense. It doesn't seem to be necessary for a guitar that sounds great despite the rough carpentry repairs, butchering really, and doesn't have to be restored to authentic detail. Imagine if I repair and restore and somehow diminish the tone quality!

Archived