Gibson Brands Forums

1962 Hummingbird

Crystal

Hey guys!

I picked up this '62 Hummingbird this weekend and I see values ranging wildly all over the net. So much so- I haven't a clue what it could be worth.

It's not mint by any means. But it is sound body wise. All the bracing is intact, the bridge looks good, stays in tune, ect.

Cosmetically, the laquer has that spidery crack look with age on the front and a few bubbled up areas on the back. There is a good 3.5 inch gouge in the back that goes through the finish and into wood. And one of the plastic tuners has broken off.

It came with the original case- which is just as beat up. It's also solid, but the lining has come unglued in a few places.

Any help or ideas are very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

guitarandcase_zpse4691978.png

Thanks for the reply retrord!

Here's the cliff notes version:

I work for a shop and this dude brings this in on the weekend. He "says" his father was the only owner, played gigs with Willie (Nelson) using this old girl before he passed 15 years ago. It even has a few flyers from some peace gathering in '64 inside. (Kinda' cool to read through it...sorta' like a time capsule)It's been sitting in the case under his bed for the last 15 years. We're in Florida...don't know if I believe the whole tall tale...but it has been sitting in the case for a LONG time. Where the back of the neck touches the rest inside the case the laquer has ever so slightly melded a bit with the case lining fuzz. Florida can get pretty hot. :(

I bought it (through my shop) specifically to resell. I have my own small vintage collection I'm pretty happy with- otherwise I'd take it home.

I just ordered a Vintage Price guide...but I am impatient to know. A virtue I never had. And I think sometimes the REAL market for something can be totally different than suggested value.

I recently had a '93 Gibson J 45 come in too...and I REALLY like the sound of this Hummingbird over that one- it's warmer...maybe it's all the miles put on it. ;)

I'm eager to see what you say- thanks again!

Hey Crystal,

The 2013 VGprice guide has these listed at $3700-$4600 in Exc Cond.

A more accurate way of determining what someone MAY actually pay is to do a 'Completed Listing' search on Ebay. I would search for '61 to '64 Hunmmingbirds since they are all in this 'value range'.

From what condition you describe, I would guess 3K ....give or take?? (it looks great from the pic)

It depends on the day, the sun and moon alignment and luck of the draw!

Of course, a George Gruhn appraissal letter would help..... [wink]

Rod

Retrorod,

I am in your debt! Thanks a million. I had a 2700 to 3000 figure in my head... but was hesitant. When I am unsure, I try to stay conservative (or quiet all together-lol).And....I have been wanting to call the master himself for neck work on my '35 Washburn anyway. Don't know if I can afford it, but seems the Fates are pushing me his direction in more ways than one.

Thank you immensely for your time!

Hi Crystal,

We also have a 62 HB. For that reason, we track the VG guide values year by year. The VG guide gives a high and a low value -- this chart gives the average of those two numbers.

HB_zps2182a978.jpg

Prior to about 2005, the 60s Gibsons did not get much respect -- the emphasis was a lot earlier. This demographic change can be seen for many early to mid 60 Gibson models.

Here is ours,

1962HUMMINGBIRDa.jpg

1962HUMMINGBIRDb.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Archived