Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Incoming 1999, Gibson J45 Custom/Rosewood Plain finish

88mmll

Hi, I am looking forward to getting another J45. I had a 2003 Rosewood. Wrote some tasty tunes on it. Love everything about the guitar except the 12" round fret board. Minor issue But I love Bourgeois and Martin compound radius for quick chords with even pressure. all over the neck.

So this one has no neck binding which I like. Black ebony with beautiful MOP inlays i have never seen before. The abalone rosette isn't a turn on but This slope shoulder looks to be a good instrument.

I'll let you know next week when it comes.

ANyone like these? The seller bought this new from a collection of Montana guitars that just got off the truck for sound.

http://s946.photobucket.com/user/m55sb55/media/_575_zps2405ba8f.jpg.html

• 5 weeks later...

The 1999 model represents the first version of the J45 Rosewood. By 2001, it had lost the fancy inlays and abalone rosette, but otherwise, the 1999's specs should be identical to the plainer J45 Rosewood that followed.

I have a '02 J45 Rosewood, and it's a wonderful guitar.

But if you've already owned an '03 J45 Rosewood and had concerns about the fretboard radius, my guess is this guitar will be quite similar in playability.

Hi 88mmll,

Did not mean to high jack your thread. I just love the 2003 Rosewood you sold me last year. That is my go to guitar now. Yes, my Taylor 310ce has been sitting in the case ever since. Haha.

Here is a pic of the 2003 Rosewood. I changed the tuners with the white/cream ones. Good luck with your guitar hunting. Cheers.

Hi, I am looking forward to getting another J45. I had a 2003 Rosewood. Wrote some tasty tunes on it. Love everything about the guitar except the 12" round fret board. Minor issue But I love Bourgeois and Martin compound radius for quick chords with even pressure. all over the neck.

So this one has no neck binding which I like. Black ebony with beautiful MOP inlays i have never seen before. The abalone rosette isn't a turn on but This slope shoulder looks to be a good instrument.

I'll let you know next week when it comes.

ANyone like these? The seller bought this new from a collection of Montana guitars that just got off the truck for sound.

http://s946.photobucket.com/user/m55sb55/media/_575_zps2405ba8f.jpg.html

post-59131-046923200 1398214819_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi 88mmll,

Did not mean to high jack your thread. I just love the 2003 Rosewood you sold me last year. That is my go to guitar now. Yes, my Taylor 310ce has been sitting in the case ever since. Haha.

Here is a pic of the 2003 Rosewood. I changed the tuners with the white/cream ones. Good luck with your guitar hunting. Cheers.

Glad you love it. I missed it as soon as it left. My new one is great and I ditched the gold tuners too. I wish I put the white buttons on, good call.

My new one is outrageous. I am so happy to get that playability and tone back. The only minor thing I wish Gibson would do is either make a straight, flatter radius, like 16". Or a compound radius like my Bourgious SJ. Playing around the 12th fret is easier with a larger radius than the ubiquitous 12" Gibson.

Yes I love J45' Rosewoods. I am so glad I found one that was already broken in without being worn. The same month I bought a killer slope shoulder from the past. A 59 Gibson Country Western to get that wide open old time mahogany wonder.

Rosewood J45's!

_57_zps139ecdb0.jpg_573_zpscea39910.jpg

The Country Western:

_579_zps9d7318ba.jpg

_575_zps47311da3.jpg

The 1999 model represents the first version of the J45 Rosewood. By 2001, it had lost the fancy inlays and abalone rosette, but otherwise, the 1999's specs should be identical to the plainer J45 Rosewood that followed.

I have a 1995 J45 Deluxe, which is a RW.

Your inlays are the same as the contemporaneous L130, IIRC.

I'd like to dump my tuners for open-back no-gold, but only if I can find something that doesn't require drilling extra holes.

Any ideas?

DSC07532_zps4d1b507f.jpg

DSC07538_zpscf680178.jpg

GibsonJ45Deluxe199512_zpsfaa6b6ee.jpg

I have a 1995 J45 Deluxe, which is a RW.

Yggdrasil - Re my earlier post, I was only referring to the model that began life in 1999 as the J45 Rosewood. In that year the majority of Gibson's lineup got revamped, and while many models remained the same for a number of years, the J45 Rosewood rather quickly saw some revisions (inlays & rosette). Your earlier model has a number of significant differences, in particular the belly-down bridge.

Btw, I absolutely love the neck inlays on your guitar. Quite banjo-inspired & beautifully done!

Btw, I absolutely love the neck inlays on your guitar. Quite banjo-inspired & beautifully done!

Yes - the bela voce banjo inlays - similar to the inlays on the Gibson J-35 built by John Walker for Jorma in the early 90s- the guitar that was supposed to be the template for a Jorma Gibson signature model until some idiot suit canned it, driving Jorma over to Martin.

Archived