Gibson Brands Forums

It doesn't get any better!

larryp58

I'm half surprised to see the AE pickin' in the acoustic forum. <grin>

Seriously, I think there are a cupla good lessons involved in the vids shown.

1. AE can sound very much like a miked acoustic - or it can sound much like Chet sounded on an electric archtop/semiarchtop.

2. Note especially how Chester (especially in the first vid with Knopfler) and Lester both will move their pickin' hand fore and aft to get different "tone" on their instruments. IMHO Les reeeeeally shows how it's done with his flatpick where pick technique as well as positioning fore and aft on the strings makes it sound almost as if it's several guitars 'stedda one - but done so seamlessly and without various "stomp boxes" that you don't notice unless you're looking for it.

3. The fingerpicking technique comparison of Knopfler and Atkins is kinda interesting due to the change in the actual finger geometries of using a thumb pick or not. Oddly even so it almost looks as if Knopfler is using something very similar to Joe Pass in jazz and even with the thumb pick, Chet's fingers almost seem more "classical" like. Or more banjo roll-like?

It's always neat to watch some of the reeeally good ones and analyze what they're doing in hopes one has even a large enough small percentage of skill and talent to emulate such an effortless performance.

m

Les Paul = defining moment in Gibson Guitars history (his 90th birthday):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH8vjxFIUC4&feature=player_detailpage

Lester Polsfuss was a genius, any way you look at it. And he was clearly enjoying himself. Monster pick he is using!

And the girl zoning out with her eyes closed at 1:12 is the very reason I took up guitar.........

Nice clips. That first one puts-to-rest the tale that the super jumbos are made for strumming and not fingerpicking. I like watching fingerpickers of this caliber. I'm no where near their level, but I do have one thing in particular in-common with Chet and Mark, as well as Marty Stuart and dozens of other super pickers. I often use my thumb on the bass strings as I move up-down the neck.......Good videos. Thank you. [thumbup]

Lester Polsfuss was a genius, any way you look at it. And he was clearly enjoying himself. Monster pick he is using!

And the girl zoning out with her eyes closed at 1:12 is the very reason I took up guitar.........

The gal playing the up-right bass(at 2:25).... was my motivation..... But then, I always liked the pro-active women [thumbup]

anyone who hasn't seen "chasing sound" needs to do so.

this for me is it:

Love it [thumbup]

For me this one is just something else.. the solo.. his hands truly move like the wind :) (@ 1:03)

Another to consider for doing whatever...

There are a number of Youtube vids of Pass and Clark doing Hank Williams material, but there's some material on this that shows how versatile Pass could be. I often wondered why not a Joe and Chet duet at some point.

Seriously, there are folks who are beyond normal in technical as well as musical concept and we've a few of them on this thread.

I think if we're not in awe of the ease they play, we likely should listen and watch again.

And I'd add that from recordings available, it appears to me that Chet likely could be considered if not the best, at least an exemplary guitarist who bursts the boundaries of style.

m

Archived