Gibson Brands Forums

How to Re Hydrate an ES -175 Properly

glennc

Does it have damage? if so post some pics.

The only way to himidify is to expose the guitar to constant moderate humidity and give it time.

If the fingerboard is dry apply lemon oil or any other approved guitar fingerboard oil. (I use Fret Doctor myself, expensive bu worth it)

If you use any sponge/water/humidifying thing inside the guitar make sure you use distilled water and still check that no mold or anything else grows while you are hydrating the guitar.

Does it have damage? if so post some pics.

The only way to himidify is to expose the guitar to constant moderate humidity and give it time.

If the fingerboard is dry apply lemon oil or any other approved guitar fingerboard oil. (I use Fret Doctor myself, expensive bu worth it)

If you use any sponge/water/humidifying thing inside the guitar make sure you use distilled water and still check that no mold or anything else grows while you are hydrating the guitar.

Hello Riffster,

Thank you for responding. It just has the f-hole and I was wondering if there was a special technique. Didn't think about using the distilled water!!

glennc

Well, the usual technique to hydrate the inside of acoustic guitars is to insert a clean sponge with a little water and set it on something made of plastic or metal so it does not directly touch the wood, then you monitor the progress.

The F-hole makes it difficult to do this, frankly it the guitar has signs of drying damage I would just place it in a room with a humidifier. I keep one running all winter in my guitar room. The more unorthodox approach would be to place your guitar in the bathroom when taking a hot shower and let the indirect steam hydrate it but remember that too much humidity is not good either.

Why do you think it has damage? shrinking of the wood?

Well, the usual technique to hydrate the inside of acoustic guitars is to insert a clean sponge with a little water and set it on something made of plastic or metal so it does not directly touch the wood, then you monitor the progress.

The F-hole makes it difficult to do this, frankly it the guitar has signs of drying damage I would just place it in a room with a humidifier. I keep one running all winter in my guitar room. The more unorthodox approach would be to place your guitar in the bathroom when taking a hot shower and let the indirect steam hydrate it but remember that too much humidity is not good either.

Why do you think it has damage? shrinking of the wood?

Hello,

I have signs of where it appears the wood has come away from the finish is a few spots. They seem duller.

May try the steam shower. Thanks

glennc

• 3 weeks later...

I've also used plastic cups that I crush to insert into the F holes. When you get the shape of the cup done, punch some holes in and place a damp sponge in the cup and close up the lid. Look daily to see how the sponge is doing and re hydrate when it's dry to touch. A sure sign of a dry guitar is the shape of the body not really the finish as I've never seen the finish separate from the wood. A dry guitar will begin to dish in as the wood shrinks and you'll see this in it's action.

-Mark

I've also used plastic cups that I crush to insert into the F holes. When you get the shape of the cup done, punch some holes in and place a damp sponge in the cup and close up the lid. Look daily to see how the sponge is doing and re hydrate when it's dry to touch. A sure sign of a dry guitar is the shape of the body not really the finish as I've never seen the finish separate from the wood. A dry guitar will begin to dish in as the wood shrinks and you'll see this in it's action.

-Mark

Hello Mark,

Maybe the problem isn't hydration. Other than the discoloration/dullness in several spots, it doesn't seem to show any other symptoms. Thanks for the idea!

glennc

Archived