Gibson Brands Forums

Modding a Melody Maker

kmsn

Bought this ugly blue, broken 2011 Gibson Melody Maker a couple weeks ago. Repaired the neck, turned it into my version of a double cutaway with my trusty (and crusty) tools, plugged the front body routes with solid wood blocks, rear-routed it for controls (I added a tone control - it only had volume), moved the input jack to the edge of the body, made a clear half pick guard, made a black rear plate cover, then finished it in an oxblood burst relic/aged finish. It has a 491T Gibson pickup in it. I put an aged cover on the pickup. The double cutaway allows much better upper fret access. Used a 47uf capacitor on the tone control for a more aggressive sweep. Pretty happy with it - great player.

Don't think my picture made it up. I'll try again.

Bought this ugly blue, broken 2011 Gibson Melody Maker a couple weeks ago. Repaired the neck, turned it into my version of a double cutaway with my trusty (and crusty) tools, plugged the front body routes with solid wood blocks, rear-routed it for controls (I added a tone control - it only had volume), moved the input jack to the edge of the body, made a clear half pick guard, made a black rear plate cover, then finished it in an oxblood burst relic/aged finish. It has a 491T Gibson pickup in it. I put an aged cover on the pickup. The double cutaway allows much better upper fret access. Used a 47uf capacitor on the tone control for a more aggressive sweep. Pretty happy with it - great player.

post-38188-016394200 1395255127_thumb.jpg

That looks great! did you take pics of the process? or at least how it looked before?

That's a nice color.

Thanks a lot. I do have before pictures, but when I try to upload them, server tells me I've exceeded my capacity. Any advice on how I can upload 3 before pictures? Would really like the show the process. Thanks.

Thanks a lot. I do have before pictures, but when I try to upload them, server tells me I've exceeded my capacity. Any advice on how I can upload 3 before pictures? Would really like the show the process. Thanks.

It's telling me that I've used up 498k of my available 500k upload capacity. Does this forum not give me the option of uploading more than 1 picture?

I have successfully replaced the original picture with one that I superimposed some 'before' shots on. Now you can see what I started with, and some of the process.

Hey..

Wow that really is a nice job [thumbup]

And yes putting pictures up is probably the first question most people ask on here (including myself :))..

What we do is use http://www.photobucket.com you upload your image there and then use the IMG link that it gives you in your post.

You can add up to 10 pics per post too..

Enjoy [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

Looks similar to my Gibson All American II, except it came with to hot single coil pickups and a tremolo bar. I was never happy with the bridge pickup so I replaced it with a hot humbucker that I put a split on and replaced the volume with a push/pull post for the split. Nice job.

Archived