Gibson Brands Forums

to polish or not to polish?

Hi gang. Here's the dilemma, and I don't reckon there's gonna be an easy answer. I am the lucky owner of a recently acquired 1981 "A" serial Gibson flying V Heritage 58 reissue Korina.

Thing is, it's in awesome original shape, with loads of mojo! The original gold hardware all has some surface corrosion (pickup covers, "V" plate, etc.

I could polish it all to new-original, but I reckon this would ruin the vintage vibe!

What are opinions out there?

Mat

1981GibsonEliteHeritageV4_zpsf8244da3.jpg

Hi gang. Here's the dilemma, and I don't reckon there's gonna be an easy answer. I am the lucky owner of a recently acquired 1981 "A" serial Gibson flying V Heritage 58 reissue Korina.

Thing is, it's in awesome original shape, with loads of mojo! The original gold hardware all has some surface corrosion (pickup covers, "V" plate, etc.

I could polish it all to new-original, but I reckon this would ruin the vintage vibe!

What are opinions out there?

Mat

I would be surprised if it completely polished up. My gold is worn off and the nickel is oxidizing and will never be bright again. But, I personally wouldn't polish it unless it still has some shine under the fingerprints. Even then, I would probably just wipe it down with a clean rag. BTW, you never got back to me re: your question about the girl's name under the pickup.

13158161835_bbb4431833.jpg

Archived