Gibson Brands Forums

TI Jazz strings

Bass sinistra

As has been commented on this and other forums, due to the short bridge-back to saddle distance on the three point bridge the silk on TI Jazz flatwounds rests on the saddle.

Not the best for intonation and tone.

I have used a couple of M4 size nuts slipped onto the strings as spacers and this removes the problem as it adds about 5mm to the string length.

They don't appear to be harming the bridge - although I'll keep an eye on it!

Sadly it doesn't sort out the other problem with these 32" strings - the E is still too long and you have to wrap quite a bit of exposed string around the post.

These strings sound fabulous on an SG so worth the very minor mod - cost me 15p in a hardware store - to improve the fit.

As has been commented on this and other forums, due to the short bridge-back to saddle distance on the three point bridge the silk on TI Jazz flatwounds rests on the saddle.

Not the best for intonation and tone.

I have used a couple of M4 size nuts slipped onto the strings as spacers and this removes the problem as it adds about 5mm to the string length.

They don't appear to be harming the bridge - although I'll keep an eye on it!

Sadly it doesn't sort out the other problem with these 32" strings - the E is still too long and you have to wrap quite a bit of exposed string around the post.

These strings sound fabulous on an SG so worth the very minor mod - cost me 15p in a hardware store - to improve the fit.

I used a "Mod Bar" for my SG before I put a Super-tone bridge on: http://www.ebay.com/...=item461c310583 It worked well.

Also, I've never had a problem using long-scale strings on the SG or my 32" Aria Pros. I've never bought a set of short scale strings, so maybe I'm missing something... Use whatever strings you like; they'll work just fine.

I don't have any problems with stock D'Addario short scale strings on my SG Std. I don't worry about silks on the saddles. With the tension on the string going over the top of the saddle, I don't believe it makes a difference. The nut is my main concern of having the strings' silks clear of it. Tension is not as great on the string going through the nut. As long as the string is as close to center of the pup magnet for that string, it's ok.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had ti jazz flats 324jf's on my sg bass for a year or two. it's the gooeiest of gooey butter to play, really makes me love that faded neck. crazy fun to play with a lighter touch, but don't bounce well if you want to beat on them as they are almost as soft as an ashbory. the lows are insane with the mudbucker, the mids can get a bit nasal, but that's just tis. if you mute, it's amazing. I have gotten a lot of tone compliments after shows....

I had to make a spacer block out of maple for the ball ends to keep the silks off the saddles (you can see it in my picture over on the left from when I was trying to make roto 88s work). it was really easy to make and has been stable for years. three point intonation woes are long long in the past.

I really had to let the truss rod out to give enough play for them tis to flap around. likely 20 thousandths of an inch relief, maybe more. my gauges don't go that fat. pretty much double my usual setup. raising the action at the bridge is NOT the way to go, my action is still low and fun. however, opening the truss rod up makes me able to dig in a bit more without buzzing, and those tis are so soft and floppy you don't even notice. plays faster than it rightly should, that's for sure.

all that being said, I was just wondering today what some pyramids or sadowskys would be like on my favorite little sg bass... anyone try them?

Archived