Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson

Kerry

Picked up my first Gibson guitar yesterday. It's an SGJ. I couldn't resist the price $499.99 Canadian. It is a 2013 model. They had the 2014 in stock but I liked the sound of the 2013 pickups and the neck seemed a little bit nicer. I also tried 2013 and 2014 LPJ's but I kept coming back to this guitar. It is made of three pieces and one of the joins is obvious but this just felt and sounded right. I've had a few Fenders, Godins, and Ibanez's. This is my first Gibson. I think there will probably be more.

post-64272-058808900 1395527643_thumb.jpg

I bought it at a store. I tried several SGJs and LPJs. A word of warning. The factory strings are absolute crap. I had a hard time keeping all of them in tune long enough to try them out. I tried 2013 and 2014 models of both. This one just sounded and felt right. Other's were nicer looking. This one has a three piece body that is very obvious but for me it's about sound and feel. This one has a subtle growl with a bit of gain that the other's didn't have. With more gain they all sounded about the same. Clean was about the same as well. It also had a little nicer neck to play. I love the finish on the neck. It is very comfortable if a handful. It is thicker than any of my other guitars except for the Godin LG. I don't know if I would order one. All the ones I tried were quite nice but there were differences. You need to try them to feel and hear the differences. Again see the warning about the strings. When I got home I tried stretching them with no luck. It would go out of tune almost instantly. I had a set of Fender 10 - 46's that I put on and haven't had a problem since. Soon as I get to a store I'll have to replace the Fenders :)

I bought it at a store. I tried several SGJs and LPJs. A word of warning. The factory strings are absolute crap. I had a hard time keeping all of them in tune long enough to try them out. I tried 2013 and 2014 models of both. This one just sounded and felt right. Other's were nicer looking. This one has a three piece body that is very obvious but for me it's about sound and feel. This one has a subtle growl with a bit of gain that the other's didn't have. With more gain they all sounded about the same. Clean was about the same as well. It also had a little nicer neck to play. I love the finish on the neck. It is very comfortable if a handful. It is thicker than any of my other guitars except for the Godin LG. I don't know if I would order one. All the ones I tried were quite nice but there were differences. Again see the warning about the strings. When I got home I tried stretching them with no luck. It would go out of tune almost instantly. I had a set of Fender 10 - 46's that I put on and haven't had a problem since. Soon as I get to a store I'll have to replace the Fenders :)

I missed commenting on the fit and finish. It is very good and very different. The finish is bare bones and looks a little raw which I love. The fit is excellent. For some the finish may take getting used to.

Well that is a good sum up of the overall experience. I have never went out to buy a new guitar and try out several of the same models. I always just picked the color or finish I liked and went from there. Your right when it comes to the factory set ups, they are never up to my standards. The first thing I always do is my own set up and tweaking. It will take several weeks of continious playing on your new SG in order for it to start coming around and feeling right or broke in. I have lucked out and have bought like new Gibsons in the past from the original purchaser and they still had the factory settings and strings on them. I always do my own fret jobs, string height, pick up height and truss adjustment as soon as I get any new to me guitar. After about 2 weeks of 1 hour or so a day or playing it and re setting things, mine started to break in. I really do think you made a nice purchase and for the money on an American made instrument you cannot beat it!! I hope you get many years out of it and it serves you well. I want one too, I do not know why I need one but I still want one!!! Good luck, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking guitar and solid review.

Oddball question.....how is the gig bag?

I'm waiting on my SG to arrive at the local music store in the next week or so. I believe it comes with that same bag. I have yet to actually examine one of the bags.

The gig bag is just OK. It has very little in the way of pockets, just one small one. I could barely fit one 15' cable in the pocket. I had to coil it up very tight. There was no room for anything else. It is very well padded and should protect the guitar well but you'll need another bag to carry supplies.

• 4 weeks later...

The gig bag is just OK. It has very little in the way of pockets, just one small one. I could barely fit one 15' cable in the pocket. I had to coil it up very tight. There was no room for anything else. It is very well padded and should protect the guitar well but you'll need another bag to carry supplies.

Agreed on the gig bag. It's okay, but I went ahead and bought a Gibson hard case, too.

I'm actually quite happy with original strings that came with mine. This guitar amazes me at how well it stays in tune.

I am 100% pleased with every aspect of my new SG.

Congrats on the new guitar. I want one of the SGJ or LPJ guitars. I already have a les paul and an SG but there is something really cool about that stripped down version. Welcome to the club!

This is my first post, and I am happy to be here. I own four Gibson's thus far. Three

are SG's youngest is 2010, and one Gibson Studio 2011. I don't

understand why

Gibson broke with tradition and added the "E-Tune" to their models(?) If anyone can

answer this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I am happy to be here.

Dan Glenn [smile]

DBrian, AM HAPPY FOR YOU. Enjoy!!!

This is my first post, and I am happy to be here. I own four Gibson's thus far. Three

are SG's youngest is 2010, and one Gibson Studio 2011. I don't

understand why

Gibson broke with tradition and added the "E-Tune" to their models(?) If anyone can

answer this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I am happy to be here.

Dan Glenn [smile]

DBrian, AM HAPPY FOR YOU. Enjoy!!!

That's the million dollar question. However, only certain models have the eTune.

Archived