Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall Amps.......

Zeke

Well I guess if you are into Classic Rock like I am and own a Les Paul guitar, what better amp to mate it with than a Marshall? I understand that there are a lot of great amps out there, but IMO none really go together and have the history that Marshall has. Right now I own a Marshall combo DSL40c and absolutely love the tones/crunch this little amp delivers. I love it so much that I am really considering a JVM410 Joe Satriani 100 watt head. [rolleyes] Do any of you guys have this head or one simular to it?

Sorry for babbling on and no, I am not salesman, I just think that I have a sick obsession with this combination.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey Zeke..

no man you are dead nuts on.. the LP / Marshall is a marriage made only in heaven.

don't have the JVM, but - --- it's probably the NEXT amp I buy.

I am not sure I wold do the Satch model or just a regular one.

I have a JTM60 combo (2x12) with a 2x12 extension.

Probably my next "big" purchase (or, as I tell the wife.. my wicked evil plan) is a JVM 2x12 combo with a 2x12cab

While I like 4x12s I'm not liking the idea of moving a 4x12 cab! not at my age.. Nope....

of course hte head with 2x12 cabs could do too...

too many Marshalls, not enough money..

hey Zeke..

no man you are dead nuts on.. the LP / Marshall is a marriage made only in heaven.

don't have the JVM, but - --- it's probably the NEXT amp I buy.

I am not sure I wold do the Satch model or just a regular one.

I have a JTM60 combo (2x12) with a 2x12 extension.

Probably my next "big" purchase (or, as I tell the wife.. my wicked evil plan) is a JVM 2x12 combo with a 2x12cab

While I like 4x12s I'm not liking the idea of moving a 4x12 cab! not at my age.. Nope....

of course hte head with 2x12 cabs could do too...

too many Marshalls, not enough money..

Wicked Evil Plan??...... Thats funny right there! [biggrin] I usually dont tell her until after the package arrives at the front door. [blush]

Thats a good idea, the combo+ cab. I forgot to mention that I currently have a Mesa rectifier (2x12)verticle cabinet (celestion v30's) that I am using with my combo amp. This cabinet is easy to transport and is built well. I believe the new head would work well with V30's, but there wouldnt be 4 speakers.

Lots of great amps around - i've used Fenders, Voxs, Laneys and various others, most had something good about them (especially my Laney VC15), but I keep coming back to that Gibson LP/Marshall combination. Just picked up (at a great price) one of the JMP1c anniversary combos, so that I can get 'that' sound at house friendly volumes. Got to say I was besotted from the moment I plugged it in. Warm, gutsy, straight outta the 70s. I'll be adding a 1X12 cab at osme point (probably the Orange PPC112, though i'm open to suggestions), but even with the little speaker it already has, I'm rediscovering the sounds that made me want a LP when I was a kid.

(Admittedly, as a Brit who benefits from better prices this side of the pond, I'm probably biased...but it DOES kick ***).

Mesa rectifier (2x12)verticle cabinet (celestion v30's)

That my friend will work... It seems to me those Mesa cabs are built to survive nuclear holocaust.

yea Bill, there was a day when I could hump this stuff around endlessly. those years are past me, it's a young mans game, and it's gotta be able fit in my car, easily...!

Jon, -> besotted!! THAT'S the word! Definitely!

Mesa rectifier (2x12)verticle cabinet (celestion v30's)

That my friend will work... It seems to me those Mesa cabs are built to survive nuclear holocaust.

Yah... I bought that Mesa cab a year ago with the intention of purchasing the Mark 5 head to go along with it. But since then, I been leaning heavily towards the Marshall JVM410JS head. The Mesa 2x12 is an awesome setup and built real well and I think I paid around $700 for it. I guess for a few hundred more I could have gotten a 4x12 Marshall 1960a. Oh well, it looks as though I'll be the 1st to have a Marshall head on top of a Mesa Cab.

naw, not the first..

I know a guy that has a similar setup. to my ears, the cab is voiced with heavy leanings on the bottom side tho. I'm not sure if that's specific to Mesa or not.

I do know this, it's LOUD!

Marshall, and Gibson, a "Match made in Heaven!" But, Vox, Fender, Hi Watt, Orange, Mesa,

Matchless, Bad Cat, Dr. Z, etc., etc., etc., and Gibson's, are also matches, made in Heaven! [biggrin]

If the PLAYER knows what he or she is doing, that's really all that matters, IMHO. One may

have personal preferences, or "obsessions," but that's mostly what it is. Plus "Marketing!" [biggrin]

CB

Lots of great amps around - i've used Fenders, Voxs, Laneys and various others, most had something good about them (especially my Laney VC15), but I keep coming back to that Gibson LP/Marshall combination. Just picked up (at a great price) one of the JMP1c anniversary combos, so that I can get 'that' sound at house friendly volumes. Got to say I was besotted from the moment I plugged it in. Warm, gutsy, straight outta the 70s. I'll be adding a 1X12 cab at osme point (probably the Orange PPC112, though i'm open to suggestions), but even with the little speaker it already has, I'm rediscovering the sounds that made me want a LP when I was a kid.

(Admittedly, as a Brit who benefits from better prices this side of the pond, I'm probably biased...but it DOES kick ***).

I have a JMP1 and JTM1 and I went with the Dr.Z 1x10 cab and it sounds awesome. They also have a 2x10 that I might pick up too. Marshall offers the 2061cx which would be cool too, its a 2x12 loaded in a full size cab.

Yep, my main rig is a Marshall JTM45 head and 4x12 cab. Personally, I like the simplicity; I don't want 100 different sounds - my sound is my sound, and I vary it by mixing the lead and bass OD, and pickup / volume on the guitar. I play a Les Paul, Firebird and SG through it. Never been happier - I am but a simple soul. [smile]

The few times I've tried a Marshall, it just hasn't really done anything for me. It's great if you want "that Marshall sound", but I like an amp with a little more versatility.

Agreed - what you get with a Marshall is a Marshall sound (or Marshally range of sounds). It works for me most of the time, but there are times when I plug in to something different for a brighter, cleaner kind of noise. The Laney VC15 and Vox AC4 are favourites. As a newbie, not sure if I can use thew F-word here on a Gibson forum, but for blues I do like a Fender valve...there, I said it. [cursing]

Marshall, and Gibson, a "Match made in Heaven!" But, Vox, Fender, Hi Watt, Orange, Mesa,

Matchless, Bad Cat, Dr. Z, etc., etc., etc., and Gibson's, are also matches, made in Heaven! [biggrin]

If the PLAYER knows what he or she is doing, that's really all that matters, IMHO. One may

have personal preferences, or "obsessions," but that's mostly what it is. Plus "Marketing!" [biggrin]

CB

[thumbup] A nice guitar, a fine amp and a decent player, that's it. [biggrin]

I've personally made mental note of both Marshall JTM60 & JTM30 amps...

They are both tube amps of a great sound from an uncertain period in Marshall's manufacturing and are often over-looked...

They come in several different speaker combo configurations and heads too. The JTM60 comes in a very cool 3 10" speaker combo that is a unique thing. They can be twin 10's or a single 12" speaker combo too...

The JTM30 had a history of overheating the transistory due to location by the 5881 power tubes, but if you replace those original tubes with 6L6's and it alleviates the overheating issue and plays safer while still retaining it's Marshall tone somehow...

I've also see this tidbit:

The power tubes are protected by a small "cage" that screws onto the chassis. The stock power tubes are the old Sovtek "wafer-base" 5581, which are shorter than most current-production 6L6 type tubes, except for the Tung-Sol 5881 and the TAD 6L6WGC. If you use a "standard" 6L6 such as a JJ 6L6GC or a Sovtek 5881WXT etc, you'll need some spacers to place between the "cage" and the chassis. I used some plumbing washers (this also necessitated longer screws).

I really like these amps and you can get them for really decent prices on eBay!

After I found the Fender Blues Deville Reissue to be too much amp for me; volume-wise, I decided against the JTM60 and have opted to see about getting a JTM30 2X10 combo someday if I see one cheap enough on eBay... I will swap out the 5881's for some 6L6's to be on the safe side though...

People say they're amazed by how Marshally it still sounds with the 6L6's too...

It's all about what YOU want! take zero notice of the "only way is...." crowd. I am lucky that at my time of life I have a decent collection of guitars, amps and toys. I have 2 x PRS's, a Gibson Explorer, an a Les Paul. I also have a Twin Reverb, a Jazz chours JC120 and a rip yer face off JCM900 Hi Gain head with a 4 x 12 cab. I use the Fender and the Roland to make music. I use the Marshall to cleanse my sould and put a massive smile on my face. Yes sir, a Les Paul and a Marshall Amp certainly hit the spot!

Well I guess if you are into Classic Rock like I am and own a Les Paul guitar, what better amp to mate it with than a Marshall?

I completely agree.

A LP and a Marshall sound is like the smell of bacon cooking.

I completely agree.

While I too like the sound of a Marshall or any amp with a Les Paul, I've found in my research that some of the most iconic Les Paul players did alot of recording on Fenders while playing Marshalls live. When they wanted superb tone a number of them went for Fenders, including Peter Green... Alot of studio pics show alot of greats on Les Pauls plugged into Fenders...

But I must admit the one that set the standard was Eric Clapton on his 60 Burst with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers thru his JTM45 combo...

I would buy a Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue in a heartbeat if I could afford one...

The few times I've tried a Marshall, it just hasn't really done anything for me. It's great if you want "that Marshall sound", but I like an amp with a little more versatility.

I second your sentiment totally. I was buying a Marshall last year. Tried a DSL 40 and DSL 15 both of which left me cold as they had to much buzzing.

Then tried the SL5 which I thought was great. Had great reverb on it. But the day I was getting ready to take it home I decided to try a Vox AC15C1 which I have never tried before and I was blown away. This was the best most musical amp I had ever heard. It over drives great but in a nice way. The marshall in comparison overdrive was very harsh sounding in comparison.

Anyways I cancelled the Marshall and got the Vox which is now my favourite amp period.

UuMKzGy.jpg

'84 JCM800 2204. Drive is classic Marshall, cleans I'd put up against any current production Fender, any day of the week. And the drive ain't all rock, it does a great backed-off blues tone as well. Slam it with a pedal and it'll do the heaviest of metal you require.

-Ryan

Any thoughts on Orange amps? I have a 1x12 cab of theirs which sounds great with my little marshall 1-watter, but have never used the heads/combos. Apparently they can give Marshall a bit of a run for their money in the 'Brit' sound.

I completely agree.

[thumbup] ^^ Thats funny right there ^^

I find it amusing that everyone seems to compare their amps to Marshall.

Well it looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on the JVM410js [flapper]

Archived