Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall Amps.......

Zeke

Any thoughts on Orange amps? I have a 1x12 cab of theirs which sounds great with my little marshall 1-watter, but have never used the heads/combos. Apparently they can give Marshall a bit of a run for their money in the 'Brit' sound.

To my ear, they are more for the power and volume than the perfect tone. They are strong amps and project well, especially for live venue gigs. They were a staple of British live performances in big venues for big sound. They can and will give Marshalls a run for their money in this realm...

Some hard rockers really love the Orange tone and if I'm not mistaken I think Rob Chapman uses them alot too...

You can see them in Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac live shows with Fenders too... I can't tell if it was John McVie's bass rig or Peter's guitar rig, but they had Orange gear and believe at some point the were sponsored with Orange gear in late 1969 to 1970...

I'm not informed enough to know which live songs/performances were recorded with Orange gear, but I love everything by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac so it's certainly got great tone potential...

If that's what they might have been using by the time of their Boston Tea Party gigs those are certainly an iconic sound...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People also forget the DB rating of their speakers.

If you have even a 'lowly' 1watt amp and run it through a speaker that gives off 90DB at 1meter, then you switch to a speaker that gives off 100DB at 1meter

the 100DB speaker will make the amp sound way more powerful than it did with the 90DB speaker, irregardless of the power handling of the speaker.

To my ear, they are more for the power and volume than the perfect tone. They are strong amps and project well, especially for live venue gigs. They were a staple of British live performances in big venues for big sound. They can and will give Marshalls a run for their money in this realm...

Some hard rockers really love the Orange tone and if I'm not mistaken I think Rob Chapman uses them alot too...

You can see them in Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac live shows with Fenders too... I can't tell if it was John McVie's bass rig or Peter's guitar rig, but they had Orange gear and believe at some point the were sponsored with Orange gear at some point...

I'm not informed enough to know which live songs/performances were recorded with Orange gear, but I love everything by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac so it's certainly got great tone potential...

If that's what they might have been using by the time of their Boston Tea Party gigs those are certainly an iconic sound...

That's agreat help, thank you. And I have to agree - if I can get Peter Green's tone I wouldn;t be too unhappy about that! He was one of the reasons I picked up a LP in the first place.

Cheers

Have a Les Paul Custom and it sounds awesome with my JVM 410 stack and/or the JMD 100 stack. But, then again it gets bad to the bone when coupled with my Flying "V" or my Strats. Love that Marshall feeling when both stacks hit you in the chest with the sonic wave of power. The JMD can get almost Fender clean if needed, but why? Keep on rockin' [thumbup]

The few times I've tried a Marshall, it just hasn't really done anything for me. It's great if you want "that Marshall sound", but I like an amp with a little more versatility.

:rolleyes:

have you ever played the JVM JS? You should have just said "I don't like Marshalls". Or better yet, just not said anything at all.

OP, the JVM JS is a great amp. I dont think you'll be disappointed.

...You can see (Orange Amplification) in Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac live shows with Fenders too... I can't tell if it was John McVie's bass rig or Peter's guitar rig, but they had Orange gear and believe at some point the were sponsored with Orange gear in late 1969 to 1970...

Not wishing to hi-jack the Marshall thread too much but over many years I have heard several people 'in the know' say Greeny had bought / was given the first commercially available Orange set-up. I duly 'checked my sources' (as one should) and found this quote from Orange's own website;

"The tone and expertise of a host of famous names went into the development of the first Orange amps. Guitar luminaries like Peter Green and Paul Kossoff plugged into early prototypes at the Orange Shop...

As the sixties drew to a close, Orange amps began to be seen on stage with some of the biggest names in music. Fleetwood Mac were the first chart group to go Orange in late '68, taking the company's first half-dozen 100 watt amps to America, and in 1969, Peter Green took the first 200 watt head on their spring tour with BB King."

O.K. Back to the "Marshall - Good or Bad?" debate.....lol!

P.

:rolleyes:

have you ever played the JVM JS? You should have just said "I don't like Marshalls". Or better yet, just not said anything at all.

OP, the JVM JS is a great amp. I dont think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the response,

I dont think there are a lot here that has even played the 410 js or the jvm410 standard model. I like the fact that it has 4 channels (3 modes each). Lots of different tones. The noise gate feture looks cool too.Its all controlled by the patented footswitch. Certain Marshall Amps are definately more versatile. Yes, they are expensive, but the way I look at it will be the last one I buy.

So long Mesa, hello Marshall!

You should have just said "I don't like Marshalls". Or better yet, just not said anything at all.

Okay. Well I guess I'm not able to express my opinion unless I agree with the OP that Marshall amps are the t!ts.

I guess it's true what they say...

Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody else's stinks.

I just got one of those 1 watt 50th Anniversary Marshall heads ( the JVM1 ). I mostly play at home and wanted something more appropriate for my usual low volume. The JVM1 is near perfect for my needs.

That said, I really dig my LP and SG through my 5150 and Mesa Boogie Mark III.

For about 2 years I enjoyed a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 with the matching 425 Cab.

Fantastic tone for classic rock and works well for old metal and blues. Eddie VH and Slash both have or had one, which I think is a great recommendation.

Its a single channel amp, so you need to work your guitar volume to get the most out of it. Personally, I liked the tone best when it was just my R8 and the amp.

As most of the time i play in my home studio, I ended up trading it for my current Dark Terror and Orange PPC212OB Cab. For me, this combination is perfect !

Try both and some others before you jump, as its tone is such a personal thing. And if you try the Marshall VM, make sure its with the VM Cab and take some time to work out the non standard EQ.

All the best

Not wishing to hi-jack the Marshall thread too much but over many years I have heard several people 'in the know' say Greeny had bought / was given the first commercially available Orange set-up. I duly 'checked my sources' (as one should) and found this quote from Orange's own website;

"The tone and expertise of a host of famous names went into the development of the first Orange amps. Guitar luminaries like Peter Green and Paul Kossoff plugged into early prototypes at the Orange Shop...

As the sixties drew to a close, Orange amps began to be seen on stage with some of the biggest names in music. Fleetwood Mac were the first chart group to go Orange in late '68, taking the company's first half-dozen 100 watt amps to America, and in 1969, Peter Green took the first 200 watt head on their spring tour with BB King."

O.K. Back to the "Marshall - Good or Bad?" debate.....lol!

P.

I agree with that wholly! I knew at one point Orange was "sponsoring" Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, but I wasn't sure when it started... Thanks for the info!!!

I also know that early in their careers all 3 of Eric Clapton, Peter Green, and Paul Kosoff used Marshalls. I would venture to guess that they were all using the JTM45 Bluesbreaker (before it was called that obviously) Marshall combo...

Both Eric & Peter's Bluesbreaker tones were so very similar they had to be on nearly the same gear when recorded. You can also get that perfect Bluesbreaker tone from Paul Kossoff when he was performing live with Black Cat Bone circa 1969 and prior. Search it out on Youtube and the live performance stuff from Kossoff in that ear shows he should have been the next in line Bluesbreaker guitarist! His tone was spot-on!!!

I like their early Marshall work and I like their later Fender work, AND I like Peter & Danny's (Danny Kirwan) later Orange work!

I also know that tone comes mostly from the hands...

I don't have any experience with the JVM410 amp. I have one of those JMP combo 1 watt amps and it's perfect for home practice. The tone is awesome IMO, even the clean tone has a really nice warm chime/ jangle. I love it! I haven't tried it with a cab yet, but after seeing some the posts here I can't wait to.

I had been interested in the Fender Super Sonic Twin and the Super Sonic 100 head but now I think 6L6 tubes just won't give me the sound I want. I heard a demo of a plain one-channel Laney with EL34 tubes-nice! Also a Vox AC 30 was sweet. Does anyone feel a Fender Super Sonic is as good as a Marshall DSL 40C ?

No one in their right mind would argue the LP and Marshall connection. But,there's better match up if you don't have the issue of neighbors, small gigging space and still need the clean headroom sound at high volume. I currently own two Marshall Amps (JCM 900 and JCM 2000 with dual slant 4 x 12 cabs, plus a single 2 x 12 cab). But as I got older, my Marshalls have not been used for some time now. I also noticed that the need for clarity, articulation in my music have taken center stage especially for the Blues. Don't get me wrong I still need my LP to bend, scream and whale. I just don't need the 100 watts of raw Marshall tone on all the time.

Funny how some things change.

Jazz

No one in their right mind would argue the LP and Marshall connection. But,there's better match up if you don't have the issue of neighbors, small gigging space and still need the clean headroom sound at high volume. I currently own two Marshall Amps (JCM 900 and JCM 2000 with dual slant 4 x 12 cabs, plus a single 2 x 12 cab). But as I got older, my Marshalls have not been used for some time now. I also noticed that the need for clarity, articulation in my music have taken center stage especially for the Blues. Don't get my wrong I still need my LP to bend, scream and whale. I just don't need the 100 watts of raw Marshall tone on all the time.

Funny how some things change.

Jazz

I am considering an power attenuator for my new head. I dont own a 4x12, only a 2x12, but an attenuator would IMO help regulate the sound an power up the tubes just a little and not piss off the neighborhood. Its another $500 but what the heck.

I am considering an power attenuator for my new head. I dont own a 4x12, only a 2x12, but an attenuator would IMO help regulate the sound an power up the tubes just a little and not piss off the neighborhood. Its another $500 but what the heck.

You do know that the attenuator will shorten your tubes lives? My 2x12 sounds louder than my 4x12. If Marshall made a 25 watts half stack that would have been the ticket!

You do know that the attenuator will shorten your tubes lives? My 2x12 sounds louder than my 4x12. If Marshall made a 25 watts half stack that would have been the ticket!

I have an 18w Marshall clone, and can't get it above 1 on the volume knob in my apartment. I bought a Weber Mini Mass and it works great to get the classic roar at lower volumes. I also have pedals. One day, I will live in a place where I can crank it up and hear it in all it's glory...

Your statement about the attenuator affecting the life of tubes might be a little misleading. It isn't the attenuator that sucks the life out of your power tubes, it's the fact that the amp is being played at wide open volumes.

Archived