Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Authenticity

KRYLOK

This Epiphone is a hand me down. But, this guitar doesn't quite match the images I've found of Hummingbirds. This one needs repair. Before it gets on to a restoration I'd like to found out if this is actually a Hummingbird. Here's some details:

20 med jumbo frets

Sealed tuners

Pick guard has hummingbird design ( but is all white with no yellow )

Head (there is a white plastic shroud just above the nut )

Inlays ( discolored pearly plastic )

Any insight is appreciated. I would like to have this instrument restored, but don't know if it's financially worth while. The fret board is gouged badly and the top has cracks. The pick guard screws are not flush which makes me wonder if it was added at some point.

Thank You

post-64336-085439500 1395863791_thumb.jpg

Not a bird,not even a dread -looks like a bolt-on neck 70's.If it's worth keeping replace the pickguard with a plain Gibby style Batman.

El capitan is correct...not a Hummingbird. It is some other, older guitar, doctored to give it the look of a Hummingbird. I would not likely spend much money to get it fixed, as the cost would likely exceed the cost of a new Epi Bird, which these days runs about $299 for a brand new one. But if it plays great!

• 2 months later...

Possibly a FT130 / FT135. Looks to be a higher quality '000' guitar of the Norlin era.

But a 'Bird? I don't think they made a 'Bird back then. The pg is not original, to say the least.

She should clean up nice.

Ft-135 with a replacement pickguard.

They can be made to play good.

Had mine for 20 years before I found a luthier that reinforced the neck block, shimmed it right and made it fun to play.

Not as nice as my Masterbilts, but nice for a vintage Matsumoku made bolt neck Epiphone.

Look into what it would cost locally to have it adjusted. Mine cost around $45.

It was worth it.

Archived