Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird pickguard question

rayban

No they are built and priced quite differently. Yet they are both built by Gibson. Epiphones are designed to have the look and feel of a Gibson, and a similar sound in many cases. Gibson uses all solid woods, Epiphone often used laminated woods. An Epiphone Hummingbird for example costs $299 and is built from mostly laminated woods, A Gibson Hummingbird costs $3100 and is built of all solid premium woods. The Epi Hummingbird has the sound, tone, and feel, and look of a Gibson Hummingbird, but the Gibson has a richer sound, more lush, and rich, because of the build and quality of woods. Gibson realized that many people can not, and never will be able to afford a $3100 Hummingbird....enter the $299 Epiphone bird....great for the price with the essence and feel of the Gibson, just not quite as much of it. When I play my Epi Bird...I can close my eyes and forget it does not cost $3100 because it looks, sounds and feels so much like a Gibson...but the Gibson has the superior overall sound and tone and look when played back to back. And if you've never played a Gibson Hummingbird (I have) you can soar with the epi Bird...as high as the sky will take you...and never look back!...regarding the pick guard comparison of Gibson Hummingbird to Epi hummingbird similarity...they are VERY CLOSE in design with the Gibson version being made of thicker higher quality plastics...and the Epi pick guard being thinner and made of lesser quality plastics, but they are close enough that one would have to look three times to see any difference....although it is rumored that SOME newer epi hummingbird pick guards have been altered to a slightly smaller, less marbled look than previously normal.

Archived