Gibson Brands Forums

Thunderbird Classic IV Pro vs Thunderbird Pro-IV

OldPlucker

I don't know why; but, while in the process of trying to sell my Ibanez SRx505 (because I have one too many basses), I found myself in a Guitar Center trying out a Thunderbird Pro-IV. I liked the sound available from the active EQ. I really like the appearance of the Classic iV Pro in white. I hear good things about both; but, was wondering who has both and what they like about each.

hello there!

i had both, i ended up selling my classic IV.

i bought the classic, because my old PRO was stolen, but later some guy returned it to me, so i kept that one.

the biggest difference is that the classic has passive gibson pups, while the PRO has active epis.

another notable difference is that the classic has a floating bridge, the PRO has a fixed one.

some guy told me he doesn't like the floating 3-point bridge, because it falls out when he changes strings...

i didn't change the strings on mine, so i couldn't really comment on that one. i don't think that's a problem though.

as for sound, i liked both, but maybe PRO is a bit better for me, since at gigs i always play on someone else's rig,

so it's nice that i can change my sound more with the active pickup.

there are other tiny differences between them, but at the end of the day, my choice was emotional.

my stolen guitar finding her way back to me, how could i gave her away after that? :)

also the PRO is a trans-black, while the classic was vintage sunburst, and i didn't really like the vintage look.

i couldn't recommend either above the other, though, so best bet is to try them both, and then go for the better looking :)

hello there!

i had both, i ended up selling my classic IV.

i bought the classic, because my old PRO was stolen, but later some guy returned it to me, so i kept that one.

the biggest difference is that the classic has passive gibson pups, while the PRO has active epis.

another notable difference is that the classic has a floating bridge, the PRO has a fixed one.

some guy told me he doesn't like the floating 3-point bridge, because it falls out when he changes strings...

i didn't change the strings on mine, so i couldn't really comment on that one. i don't think that's a problem though.

as for sound, i liked both, but maybe PRO is a bit better for me, since at gigs i always play on someone else's rig,

so it's nice that i can change my sound more with the active pickup.

there are other tiny differences between them, but at the end of the day, my choice was emotional.

my stolen guitar finding her way back to me, how could i gave her away after that? :)

also the PRO is a trans-black, while the classic was vintage sunburst, and i didn't really like the vintage look.

i couldn't recommend either above the other, though, so best bet is to try them both, and then go for the better looking :)

Thanks. I went to one Guitar Center earlier this week and tried the Pro-IV and like that then I went to a different Guitar Center and tried the Classic IV in Alpine White. I must say that is really white. They had a Vintage Sunburst and a White side by side and the white wins in my opinion. As for the sound the Gibson Humbuckers sounded good enough to make me not worry about the Active Pups in the Pro. You are right that either of these could be the right choice. The only better choice would be getting both. Three things stopped me from pulling the trigger. One they didn't have a case for a Thunderbird. Two they would give me enough for my Ibanez SRx505 or lower the price on the T'bird. Three my young grandson was with me and IF I had bought it he would have told his mother and she would have told my wife who doesn't know about the Ibanez much less an Epiphone.

So the Ibanez is for sale, soon to be on eBay and once that's done I may have to check-out Sweetwater to see if they can get the white one.

The Classic has a 9-ply through-neck (walnut/mahogany), just like its Gibson cousin. Very different to the Pro-IV.

Also, the Classic has genuine Gibson pickups, identical to it's Gibson counterpart.

When I was deciding between the 2, it was a no-brainer... I went with the model that most resembled the specs of the Gibson Thunderbird.

However, if you prefer active pickups, perhaps the Pro-IV is for you

Archived