Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul _______ ?

ABR

I bought this guitar from a bloke who deals in Gibsons. He said it was an Iced Tea but that's all he knew. I've had people telling me its a Tobacco Burst or Honey Burst but i'm not quite sure myself.

Made in 2006, im guessing it could be a Classic but i'm really not sure.

I need some clarification on this one.

Serial Number is: 028660639

Here's some pictures also.

34e98hk.jpg

wmdlxy.jpg

those colors can overlap depending on who holds the spray gun that day... but it looks like light burst. call Gibson customer service and run the serial number by them. they will be able to tell you everything. to me, it looks like a Les Paul Standard in Light Burst.

Colours may vary as well on guitars as when viewing pictures. From here it looks much like Iced Tea but could be Light Burst, too, as mentioned above by Modoc. Perhaps the pickup cavities will tell, probably that of the neck pickup. The latest letters written there should be either IT or LB.

Can't tell exactly from the pics, but in case the capital letters below the Les Paul script say MODEL it should be a Standard. Classics usually say CLASSIC here.

I would dismiss Tobacco burst, that is usually a lot darker than this.

I would go with light burst too. Honey burst is is usually more yellowish. (like there's a rigid standard here right? nope!)

hey, but it's pretty all the same!

those colors can overlap depending on who holds the spray gun that day... but it looks like light burst. call Gibson customer service and run the serial number by them. they will be able to tell you everything. to me, it looks like a Les Paul Standard in Light Burst.

The thing thats bugging me is the pickup selector ring taken off and the pickup covers taken off also. Would that have been due to the previous owner? or was it made like that?

(Emailed Gibson the serial number by the way, thanks for you help)

If it's a normal USA Production-line Paul it looks to me like it could be a regular Les Paul Standard.

The only slightly odd thing is there is no screw-hole for the p'g. Normally that detail is reserved for the fancier-topped LPs.

Pull the p'ups from the guitar. Normally there is a spray-code either written or stamped in the neck cavity and sometimes a top-designation in the bridge cavity.

HB would be HoneyBurst and so on. It should be rather obvious if it has such a mark.

There is quite often interesting stuff there;

Here's a Vintage SunBurst and what appears to be 'Andy';

VSB.jpg

Same guitar - other cavity. Self-explanatory;

Jan151991.jpg

As mentioned above - top-grading. LPP would be Les Paul 'Plus'. LPPP = Les Paul 'Premium Plus';

ClassicLPPP.jpg

Go on! Have a look!

The '1960 Classic' model was supplied with open 'buckers but if you were thinking yours might be one of these then I can say for sure it isn't.

Those instruments had a different numbering system from the usual USA-line LPs. A 2006 example would have the serial number 06XXXX.

The 'Poker-chip' is inexpensive to replace as are the p'up covers.

Be aware that depending on which p'ups are fitted some share pole-piece spacing (bridge / neck) but some have different spacing.

Measure accurately the distance from the centre of both 'E' poles to find out which spacing(s) you have.

P.

Archived