Gibson Brands Forums

Current Flying V's

devin1974

The 2 current flying v's offered by Gibson are NOT doing it for me.... how long am I going to have to wait for a black or white v to be available again? I am not going to pick one up used at 900 bucks in ebay or GC used. ..... oh yeah..preferably rosewood or ebony...not that backed maple shiny stuff.... I don't want my V to look like a Rickenbacker's fret board. and as long as I'm hoping, wishing, thinking... I'd like pickup covers and the optional short vibrato =)

For similar reasons around the Explorers I went with a Government Series II recently.

As for the V, I also would like to make them the V-shaped tailpiece.

I guess that three-magnet pickups like 500T and Dirty Fingers won't allow for soldering covers on them. The heat would do serious harm to the outer magnets.

Explorers and Vs are produced in batches one or two times a year, and who knows what color they will choose to produce,

sadly there is simply not a lot of demand. Maybe this is one of the reasons the Grace Potter V sold well, or fast.

I added pickup covers to my Explorer with no issues.

Do you remember the late 1980's Flying-V in "Magenta?"

79098-1.jpg

I almost ordered 1 because of Lonnie Mack & Albert King, but just couldn't pull the trigger when this was the closest thing I could get to a heritage Cherry finish...

I opted for a Torino Red American Standard Strat instead...

It came with a Floyd Rose system? Awesome!

I don't believe so, but I can't remember for sure... That one was an Epi from where I found the pic and it looks like the owner may have modified to taste, but it was the only example of the late 80's "Magenta" that was being offered at the time that I recalled as I was very close on pulling the trigger on a Flying-V back in the day... But due to the color, I just couldn't bring myself to do it...

I wanted Heritage Cherry, but it just wasn't being offered outside of the customer shop at the time...

Archived