Gibson Brands Forums

Mark inside p/u cacity

Stubert

I recently bought a very nice 1999 LP Standard in a plain top honeyburst finish.

I set it up today and couldn't resist having a butchers under the hood. The neck pick up cavity had penciled "LP HB" which I think would mean Les Paul Honeyburst. But inside the bridge cavity was penciled, "LP 58".

Does this mean perhaps that the body was originally destined to be a R8 ?. It is a very heavy guitar and possibly too heavy for it to be made into an R8. I don't know, does anyone have an idea ?

Guest Farnsbarns

Very interesting, I think, someone may come along with an explanation that makes it less interesting of course. Can you post a picture. I assume this writing is under the finish?

Guest Farnsbarns

Not a brilliant picture captured with my phone but I think you can see it.

Yep, and it is under the finish I think. The reason I was asking that is because the designation would have had to be changed before the finish was put on because a number of things are done differently on an R8 such as binding, bridge posts, binding, etc which all happen before the finish.

I eagerly await the more expert members opinions on this.

Just thinking out loud here... I think a 99 r8 would be solid where as a 99std would be weight relived. X-raying it might be fun if no one comes along and blows the r8 theory away.

I don't believe weight relieving was done until well into the noughties. This bugger weighs in at over ten of your English pounds so no weight relief here.

Indeed all the other appointments are commensurate with a "bog standard" Standard of the period.

post-2150-038683300 1395949202_thumb.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't believe weight relieving was done until well into the noughties. This bugger weighs in at over ten of your English pounds so no weight relief here.

Indeed all the other appointments are commensurate with a "bog standard" Standard of the period.

Actually, I'm very confident it started in 1983. Yours may not be if it was originally intended to be an R8 but came out too heavy. They might have redesignated it as a std for that very reason. A completely solid standard from 99 would be a rare and intriguing thing.

I am no expert on Gibson manufacturing processes and I apologize for my misinformed comment on weight relief.I was under the impression that weight relieving and chambering was quite a new thing.

That is the advantage of belonging to forums as there is always a wealth of information to be had.Cheers [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

I am no expert on Gibson manufacturing processes and I apologize for my misinformed comment on weight relief.I was under the impression that weight relieving and chambering was quite a new thing.

That is the advantage of belonging to forums as there is always a wealth of information to be had.Cheers [thumbup]

Please don't apologise. It's a common misconception.

Gibson did an article about this recently...

here http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Lighten-Your-Les-Paul-Load.aspx

Could the numbers in fact be references to batches, used in the Gibson factory?

For the simple purpose of stock control and tracking, the "LP 58" reference could be reference to a batch of Les Pauls, perhaps as they were cut from a particular shipment of mahogany?

The "LPHB" could be a reference to a paint finish, such as the aforementioned honey burst finish? The painter might have 10, or 20, or several more honey bursts in one of these batches,and then the same number in a different finish. If someone upstream of the painter has already said that "these X bodies are this colour; these Y bodies are that colour" all the painter has to is read the code and paint accordingly.

All as a form of product control within the manufacturing line.

I, of course, am not stating fact; just spinning another theory [biggrin]

Thoughts?

I have a 2001 Classic Plus in Trans Amber. Inside the bridge pickup cavity is "LPCP" for Les Paul Classic Plus and the neck pickup cavity has "TA" for Trans Amber. In all my experience, the markings usually indicate model and color. I've never heard any instances of batch numbers. Yours was probably destined to be some sort of 58 at one point.

cavity.jpg

I have a 2001 Classic Plus in Trans Amber. Inside the bridge pickup cavity is "LPCP" for Les Paul Classic Plus and the neck pickup cavity has "TA" for Trans Amber. In all my experience, the markings usually indicate model and color. I've never heard any instances of batch numbers. Yours was probably destined to be some sort of 58 at one point.

cavity.jpg

I agree. Also, just because it's heavy, don't be too sure it isn't weight relieved.

yours may have been started with intentions of it being a "store special" '58RI, as mine is, but was changed in process due to order cancellation or some other reason perhaps??

I bought mine from an early "big box" retailer (Strings-&-Things)that not long after disappeared from the horizon.

while not a historic or "R-series", they were built a little differently.

i'm just speculating here, so don't bet the farm on it.

where's Pippy?

he'll know.....

...Where's Pippy?........he'll know.....

Sorry to disappoint but at the moment I'm as much in the dark as anyone.

Stubert; are you certain it's LP 58 and not LPS 8? It's not quite clear in the phone pic.

I don't know how the latter would alter matters but it might mean LP Standard?...and then that pesky 8......lol!

AFAIK Gibson in-house also use R8 for a 1958 re-issue; not 58.

...It is a very heavy guitar and possibly too heavy for it to be made into an R8.......This bugger weighs in at over ten of your English pounds so no weight relief here...

For me this is the big problem for it to have been earmarked to become an R8.

As can be seen in this well-known photo the mahogany body blanks for the R-Is are 'sorted' into their intended model-year before, it would appear from those weights, any machine-work whatsoever is carried out.

GibsonLPWeights-2_zps019e3447.jpg

The lightest blanks are reserved for the R9s and R0's; second lightest blanks are for the R8s.

The first two models are usually in the mid-late 8 lb range and the R8s usually 9 - 9 1/2 lb.

It would have been obvious at this time if the wood used for the guitar in the OP was going to result in a guitar weighing over 10 lbs and, as such, wouldn't have 'made the grade' quite literally.

It's generally well-known that the "traditionally weight-relieved" LPs are amongst the heaviest currently made. Certainly in 1999 they would have been.

In 1999 the LP Standard still used this form of weight relief (Chambered Standards first appeared in 2006) so I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see a 10 lb + Standard from this year.

But that '58' mark is baffling.

...yours may have been started with intentions of it being a "store special" '58RI, as mine is, but was changed in process due to order cancellation or some other reason perhaps??...while not a historic or "R-series", they were built a little differently...

This is a possibility.

I'm not sure what to suggest you do next. Sorry!

You could try sending your serial number - and the picture of the marking - to Gibson Customer Support and see if they can shed any light on the matter?...

:-k

P.

• 7 months later...

I recently bought a very nice 1999 LP Standard in a plain top honeyburst finish.

I set it up today and couldn't resist having a butchers under the hood. The neck pick up cavity had penciled "LP HB" which I think would mean Les Paul Honeyburst. But inside the bridge cavity was penciled, "LP 58".

Does this mean perhaps that the body was originally destined to be a R8 ?. It is a very heavy guitar and possibly too heavy for it to be made into an R8. I don't know, does anyone have an idea ?

hello..i recently got a very very good condition 1998 LPS honeyburst... all stock with grover tuners ,sliver..to get to the point.. I changed strings , removed the pic-up covers, and under the NECK-PU, in the cavity there is a LP58 in pen...I was wonderin if ya ever found out what it ment?

Archived