Gibson Brands Forums

NTD!

Ryan H

It's been a long time coming...

I was never satisfied with the Floyd on my MIJ Charvel Pro Mod SoCal. It's the FRT-1000, the Korean-made Original Floyd Rose. Same specs supposedly, just MIK. Block is pitifully small and cheap looking. Probably cast zinc. Knife edges dulled very quickly. Obviously inferior materials being used here.

I also never liked the Sound of Floyds. Lack of bass response, that nasty piercing upper mid and treble response, and a huge mid hump in general. Acoustically, the guitar sounded "dead".

I removed the locking nut ages ago and replaced it with a PRS nut. Was tired of unlocking and locking the nut whenever I wanted to tune down, and the bridge was already blocked at that point.

Just over 4 months ago (mid November) I ordered a trem from Schaller. Not a Floyd, but the only bridge on the market that I've seen which allows one to essentially "De-Floyd" a guitar without filling holes and redrilling and such. Took 17 weeks to get here, but worth every day.

Enter the Schaller Vintage Tremolo.

LxJqLqE.png

J8LdkN7.png

5BGhV62.png

2I3ZGZE.png

In my opinion, it has all the best parts of a Floyd and the best parts of a good non-locking trem. It has the individual saddle height adjustment, is strung through a decent sized polished solid steel block, and doesn't stick out of the body like the Eiffel Tower (like the Floyd did).

It also has the larger baseplate which I prefer (more mass and more contact area = more sustain), nice big, robust pivot posts and the Floyd arm which I still think is the best trem arm design.

The guitar is now lighter (that Floyd weighed a ton!), more resonant (twice as loud acoustically), and much more balanced (cut out just the right amount of mid and boosted the bass). It sounds much more "vintage".

And it stays in tune! (It came with roller saddles, which probably help a lot in that department).

German engineering..you pay a premium for it, you wait awhile, but it pays off.

-Ryan

Glad you're happy with your mods. Looks like your guitars seen some action since you posted pics of it a while back msp_thumbup.gif. I love modding my tele, i recently fitted callaham saddles and semour duncans which I really like

Archived