Gibson Brands Forums

Identifying a Gibson classical guitar

Hello Gibson folks,

I'd appreciate help in figuring out what model of Gibson classical guitar I have, and what it might be worth. I bought it new somewhere between 1964-1968, and it has no inside label. The serial number is 526835. As suggested, I'm attaching the images which were requested.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

post-64404-070327000 1396018452_thumb.jpg

post-64404-009215400 1396018467_thumb.jpg

post-64404-079414600 1396018484_thumb.jpg

post-64404-003435500 1396018505_thumb.jpg

Check this reference in the forums...

There's also a Gibson serial number check one can google for.

I think the notes in the other forum thread hits it well. Guitar Center had one for sale for around $600 but that's a retail store.

Apparently those who find the short-lived Gibbie classicals like the sound.

I was playing mostly classical during some of the short life of the Gibbies and I'll agree that they weren't really considered to be "much" among classical players.

I'd also disagree that there's not as much difference among classical guitars as steel string guitars and there's a world of difference even among $30,000 classical instruments - as there is among $300 classical guitars.

Personally, I took the leap into AE with the Ovation Country Artist nylon string and haven't owned a regular nylon since - and that's over 40 years ago. A lot of other "I wanna play nylon strings but with AE ability" folks have taken the same plunge with various types of designs and concepts.

I think I'd consider purchase an old Gibbie in excellent shape up to around $500 with case from an individual owner.

But then I'd have a luthier add AE capability.

As L5 Larry notes in the thread referenced below on the instruments, it's not really a workingman's guitar as is - and somewhat less so when it's 50 years old and not currently in demand by gibson collectors.

m

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/25826-gibson-c1-info-question/

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still not sure what model it is. From what I've read on-line, there were several models Gibson produced on the high end, and several low end models. I'm guessing mine is the latter, since I wasn't flush with cash as a teenager. But, I've not been able to find anything on-line which allows one to look at the features on one's guitar and tie them to a specific model number. Unless there is a serial number tracker which I've overlooked, the best I can come up with using one of those search engines is somewhere around 1968, but nothing tieing it to a model.

Does Gibson have any tools to help me? Their website seems to direct this kind of research to this forum.

Any suggestions?

Check this reference in the forums...

There's also a Gibson serial number check one can google for.

I think the notes in the other forum thread hits it well. Guitar Center had one for sale for around $600 but that's a retail store.

Apparently those who find the short-lived Gibbie classicals like the sound.

I was playing mostly classical during some of the short life of the Gibbies and I'll agree that they weren't really considered to be "much" among classical players.

I'd also disagree that there's not as much difference among classical guitars as steel string guitars and there's a world of difference even among $30,000 classical instruments - as there is among $300 classical guitars.

Personally, I took the leap into AE with the Ovation Country Artist nylon string and haven't owned a regular nylon since - and that's over 40 years ago. A lot of other "I wanna play nylon strings but with AE ability" folks have taken the same plunge with various types of designs and concepts.

I think I'd consider purchase an old Gibbie in excellent shape up to around $500 with case from an individual owner.

But then I'd have a luthier add AE capability.

As L5 Larry notes in the thread referenced below on the instruments, it's not really a workingman's guitar as is - and somewhat less so when it's 50 years old and not currently in demand by gibson collectors.

m

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/25826-gibson-c1-info-question/

Archived