Gibson Brands Forums

Faux tailpiece like Derek Trucks sig SG

Magoo

2HWnD3e.png

I would like to get just the tailpiece for my SG, like the Derek Trucks signature model.

is this possible? I looked online and could not find just a tailpiece being sold. It does not have to be Gibson brand. Just the same style.

I haven't made up my mind if I like them or not yet...

I guess there's a certain symmetry and continuation of lies and they do have a certain aesthetic decorative value, but I don't like the "piontlessness" of it in some respects...

I suppose it is much like pinstriping or decorative do-dads on a body, nothin' wrong with it if you like it...

Sorry I've never seen one available yet separately yet...

Have you tried eBay?

Here you go! No Gibson "lyre" engraving, though.

http://www.allparts.com/TP-3680-001-Long-Gibson-Style-Nickel-Vibrato-Tailpiece_p_4255.html

CB

This would be great if I could just get the tailpiece part, for half the price of the total tremolo, or less! I think i'll email them.

A Gibson Derek Trucks tailpiece just came up for sale on e-bay, and I bought it. Possibly for my Firebird. You could try contacting this seller to see if they might have another.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Derek-Trucks-Base-Chrome-New-Hard-to-find-/310895320998?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4862ce1fa6#ht_0wt_0

Thats cool, so are you doing the same thing then, adding it for the looks? So its installed by 4 screws?

Thats cool, so are you doing the same thing then, adding it for the looks? So its installed by 4 screws?

Yeah, mostly for looks, but also to help counter the neck-heaviness (the tailpiece weighs 1/2 lb.). When used as a real tailpiece, they are held on with 6 screws (and fairly long ones at that), due to the string tension. As a faux tailpiece, I was actually considering a little velcro in lieu of screws. Not sure yet. Below are before and after photos, and a photo of the back side of the tailpiece (you can see the 6 mounting holes).

079_zps8d97daec.jpg

080_zps0dc33b8b.jpg

081_zps1779279d.jpg

Would be interested in looking under Derek Truck's personal SGs' Lyra cover. Perhaps he is hiding some dead weight there for improving the balance? For sure an insider tip to fight neck heaviness of Min-ETune SGs!

The Trucks tailpiece is very sturdy; it weighs just over 8 oz. It could improve the balance on its own.

Stu.

The Trucks tailpiece is very sturdy; it weighs just over 8 oz. It could improve the balance on its own.

Stu.

Never put them off for weighing them, but this clearly surpasses a stop bar's weight. I guess this is why my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs are that nicely balanced despite of being rather light. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

2HWnD3e.png

I would like to get just the tailpiece for my SG, like the Derek Trucks signature model.

is this possible? I looked online and could not find just a tailpiece being sold. It does not have to be Gibson brand. Just the same style.

Why doesn't someone make or invent one that joins the two pieces together to close the gap and still fit right into the pegs.

• 5 years later...