Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Sidewinder P90H pickups: right choice for my project?

koahoa

Hi....I am building a guitar that will combine two of my favorite guitar designs. It will have a semi hollow, solid alder LP body, with a flamed maple top, with one "F" hole and a solid pao ferro strat neck. The body is routed for 3 P90 pickups and all strat hardware ,including a 5-way switch. I am hoping to stick with Gibson pickups to get that classic Gibson tone for an all around use...for blues, rock, R&B, and jazz fusion kinds of play. Classic guitar tones similar to everyone from old Clapton, Page, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana and old Allman Bros to things like Joe Bonamassa, Steve Stevens and Al DiMeola(just to name a few)....that kind of clear over driven tone ,that mellows when you back off on the volume knob,is what I am looking for.

It has come to my attention that there is a new Gibson P90 pickup out there( the Sidewinder P90H) and I would love to hear any feedback from you guys that have tried it or know anything about it...it's pros and cons and uses....and whether or not you think this would be a good choice for this project or if you think there is a better P90 shaped pickup to do this job.Is there a P90 shaped pickup that has the tone and response of a classic humbucker? I am also putting together a solid mahogany LP with a solid indian rosewood top that will have a solid indian rosewood LP neck on it and will also have 3 humbuckers with a 5-way switch. I will be using this one for the same purpose and would appreciate any feedback you would have for me on choices of Gibson humbucking pickups to do this job as well. Thanks.

You might have some trouble finding aftermarket Sidewinders.

As far as i know Gibson only offers them in their Les Paul and SG Futura models.

That said, it might be a good choice among P90s but i can't say whether it'll be good for classic rock as you mentioned.

Cheers [thumbup]

Had a Wolfetone P90 in my one P90 guitar for years. It NAILS the vintage Gibson P90 tone, better than any modern Gibson P90 I've heard. Less expensive than any P90 Gibson winds, and handmade by one guy in a small workshop in Seattle, not taken off an automated winding machine.

Wolfe's a great guy, take him into consideration.

http://www.wolfetone.com/mean.html#

-Ryan

Edit: I give equal praise to his Humbuckers as well. His Marshallhead and Dr. Vintage pickups are incredible.

You might have some trouble finding aftermarket Sidewinders.

As far as i know Gibson only offers them in their Les Paul and SG Futura models.

That said, it might be a good choice among P90s but i can't say whether it'll be good for classic rock as you mentioned.

Cheers [thumbup]

Thanks for the input mKwatra427. It's much appreciated. I did see a few of them online on an auction type website. But have not had a chance to try them out myself. Have you tried them yourself yet and if so did you like their sound and response?

Had a Wolfetone P90 in my one P90 guitar for years. It NAILS the vintage Gibson P90 tone, better than any modern Gibson P90 I've heard. Less expensive than any P90 Gibson winds, and handmade by one guy in a small workshop in Seattle, not taken off an automated winding machine.

Wolfe's a great guy, take him into consideration.

http://www.wolfetone.com/mean.html#

-Ryan

Edit: I give equal praise to his Humbuckers as well. His Marshallhead and Dr. Vintage pickups are incredible.

Thanks Ryan....I will have to check that out.

Thanks for the input mKwatra427. It's much appreciated. I did see a few of them online on an auction type website. But have not had a chance to try them out myself. Have you tried them yourself yet and if so did you like their sound and response?

'Fraid not man. The most I can do is watch some demo videos. Try those out too if you can and haven't already, they are often quite informative when you can't get your hands on the actual guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

'Fraid not man. The most I can do is watch some demo videos. Try those out too if you can and haven't already, they are often quite informative when you can't get your hands on the actual guitar.

Thanks mKwatra427. I took your advice about checking out videos of people playing the Sidewinders. But could only find one video of some guys talking about them and one of them being played. I loved the way they sounded. But was only able to find one Sidewinder being sold online. So I decided to just jump in with both feet ,because I know so little about P90's and bought 2 DP162's and one DP154 for the bridge.They will be hooked up to a 5 way switch. It should be a fun guitar to play, being half Les Paul and half strat. I will try to post a pick of it when I get it finished sometime in the next couple of weeks so you guys can check it out.

Archived