Gibson Brands Forums

'Other' Steinbergers.

jacothelad

I own a 'Steinberger' which is a Licensed Copy made by Cort. I'm not sure of which original proper Steinberger model it is a copy. It's a six string with a trem and two passive humbuckers. I wonder is there any interest in such a guitar? I've never seen or heard of any others. I actually bought it about 15 years ago for 40 Euro in a computer store in a little town in County Donegal in the Republic of Ireland. It was just lying in a corner with a FOR SALE tag so I bought it. Does anyone know anything about such a guitar or have any thoughts on it. It plays superbly and the p.u.s are really great. I'd guess by its condition when I bought it that it is now between 25 and 30 years old. Is there any way that you know to research info on it?

Thanks,

Probably a three or four hundred dollar guitar. More than likely it has an R-Trem. What do you need to know?

Thanks for the help. I'm interested in the fact that it is a 'legal' copy of a good quality guitar while in itself being really well made. I'm happy to know that it may be worth 300 dollars. I've seen a few Cort 'Steinberger' basses on Ebay but never a six string. Is it a more rare guitar than the basses?

The trem. has a locking mechanism. I'm not familiar at all really with Steinberger guitars so I have to plead ignorance on the various types of tremolo systems. There is a set of instructions on the side saying "Lock to tune. Unlock to use tremolo. etc and a diagram about adjusting the knob so the trem stays in tune etc."

There is a serial no....8616992 Is there any way that you can think of in which I might find out when it was made. The guitar has clearly been well used but while I've had it for about 12 to 15 years I have just kept it in my collection.

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I'm interested in the fact that it is a 'legal' copy of a good quality guitar while in itself being really well made. I'm happy to know that it may be worth 300 dollars. I've seen a few Cort 'Steinberger' basses on Ebay but never a six string. Is it a more rare guitar than the basses?

The trem. has a locking mechanism. I'm not familiar at all really with Steinberger guitars so I have to plead ignorance on the various types of tremolo systems. There is a set of instructions on the side saying "Lock to tune. Unlock to use tremolo. etc and a diagram about adjusting the knob so the trem stays in tune etc."

There is a serial no....8616992 Is there any way that you can think of in which I might find out when it was made. The guitar has clearly been well used but while I've had it for about 12 to 15 years I have just kept it in my collection.

Thanks

A picture might help.

It's not a copy of any actual Steinberger instrument, it just represents the "paddle + headless" concept. Quite a number of manufacturers were producing "Licensed by…" instruments during the '80ies. AFAIK these Cort guitars first appeared in (or around) 1984, the first ones with a fixed bridge, like this one. Later they also came with an R-Trem, and very similar (if not identical) instruments were sold under the "Blake" brand.

Bernd

Here are a few shots.

Yes, an R-Trem, that alone is worth $80-$150. Does it have a wood neck? tI most likely does. Most comparable to the Steinberger Spirit line. The information that Bernd provided is accurate.

Don't think there is any collector value but it probably would make someone a great travel guitar.

Yes, an R-Trem, that alone is worth $80-$150. Does it have a wood neck? tI most likely does. Most comparable to the Steinberger Spirit line. The information that Bernd provided is accurate.

Don't think there is any collector value but it probably would make someone a great travel guitar.

Yes, it has a wooden neck and as you say, would be great for a trip with limited space......or a gigging guitar for someone with back problems as its so light. I fitted a string adapter so that it takes normal strings. ~~It stays in tune perfectly.

Archived