Gibson Brands Forums

Help needed - problem with wiring

Hi there, firstly thanks to anyone who can offer any help on this.

Basically I have a Les Paul Classic which has been in storage for a while in its case. Plugged it in today and to my dismay no output. So did all the usual checks and the braded wiring has come away from both pots (see photos).

post-64506-091139800 1396390200_thumb.jpg

post-64506-051177500 1396390322_thumb.jpg

So I soldered both these back on and I now get a very very weak signal only in the middle position.

So was thinking i've done something wrong somehow with the solder job but don't really see how, could anything cause electronics to fail like that seems odd that both wires came loose.

Anyway if anyone can offer some advice before I take it to get checked out by the shop.

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

Well I guess there are tests you can do with a multi meter (but I don't know much about that)....

This is a picture of my Classic if it helps

DSC02010_zps6a5bff94.jpg

the things that come to mind for me are... When you soldered the braiding back on, you can sometimes solder through the internal shield which would short that circuit out... Or have you checked the output jack? Make sure those connections are solid...

After that im not too sure, maybe take it along to a luthier to check?

If you don't get many replies on this thread maybe try the Les Paul section or the lounge as they get more traffic and your more likely to get a better answer than I can provide (and there are plenty of people who will probably know exactly whats wrong from your description)..

good luck [thumbup]

Definitely, kind of strange :unsure: First, how long is 'a while'? Secondly, what would the temperature/humidity factors have been in storage?

I agree that it is strange for the grounded braids to come loose on their own! I am 'perplexed'.

I would have to troubleshoot with a multimeter to be clear on what has happened.

Good luck and hope its something simple,

Rod

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. The photo looks interesting i'll have to try again and keep you posted, its getting late here in the UK.

As for the storage, i say storage i mean its been in its case in a cupboard in my house for around 3 years, criminal i know.

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. The photo looks interesting i'll have to try again and keep you posted, its getting late here in the UK.

As for the storage, i say storage i mean its been in its case in a cupboard in my house for around 3 years, criminal i know.

Thanks again

Hello Ptlloyd, and welcome here.

In my opinion, three years in its case within a dwell shouldn't matter anyhow to a guitar properly set up and tuned, let alone soldering points.

I guess there might have been - and sometimes still are - manufacturing problems due to the higher temperatures needed for lead-free RoHS solder consisting of 99% tin and 1% copper. Instead of running the risk of damaging pots or cables, I would rather use leaded solder with typically circa 60% tin and 40% lead for repair. I have already done this in a pinch on two of sixty-eight soldering points when rewiring two basses - better than killing two push/pull pots due to overheating them.

Thanks for all the help guys, managed to get it sorted, i did just resolder and clean every joint and ta da its now working. I think might have been a loose hot wire from the toggle switch but did the lot just in case.

Thanks again

Pat

Thanks for all the help guys, managed to get it sorted, i did just resolder and clean every joint and ta da its now working. I think might have been a loose hot wire from the toggle switch but did the lot just in case.

Thanks again

Pat

Glad you made it work! [thumbup]

Archived