Gibson Brands Forums

J-50 ID

Skilby54

I have a Gibson J-50 with serial number on the back of the headstock 35521, I'm figuring this is 1961. It is slope shouldered with a big pickguard and an adjustable bridge. Does anyone know a reason why this wouldn't be 1961.

That pickguard didn't come around until later in the 60s. Also, if it was a '61, the rosette would be a bit different. I wonder if you're missing a number.

I saw the picture of the back of the headstock after I wrote that. Those numbers are odd in that they aren't all the same height.

Measure the nut width and post it here. That will help narrow it down.

That pickguard didn't come around until later in the 60s. Also, if it was a '61, the rosette would be a bit different. I wonder if you're missing a number.

I saw the picture of the back of the headstock after I wrote that. Those numbers are odd in that they aren't all the same height.

Measure the nut width and post it here. That will help narrow it down.

1 5/8 at the nut. I thought it might be missing a 1 at the beginning of the serial number but I can't see any sign of it imprinted there. The last digit is offset just a bit. Clearly says 35521 but the one is a bit lower than the other numbers.

Definitely not a 61.

A 61 would have a single ring rosette, 1 11/16 inch nut and different pickguard material.

You learn something everyday. I'm thinking more like a 66' now. I guess the guy I bought it from didn't know anything either. I currently have this guitar for sale at $2600. Is that too much for this one?

You learn something everyday. I'm thinking more like a 66' now. I guess the guy I bought it from didn't know anything either. I currently have this guitar for sale at $2600. Is that too much for this one?

Steve, I think that is a bit high but I'm an old cheapskate and I think almost every vintage guitar I see lately is priced too high.

Did you look at completed auctions on E-bay for J45's and J50's that are in this date range.

If you look at active auctions you'll see ones like yours in the price range your asking but to get a better idea check out completed auctions.

Yours is pretty clean and who knows you may get your price. Good luck with your sale.

Frank.

Nothing wrong with what you are asking... Its not new.. so that accounts for something.. 61 or mid 60s.. I would guess 1500.00 to 2000.00 .. had many of those.. those were in the areas I sold those for... Nice J50...

Archived