Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice on recording equipment

Tony611

I've been reading a lot of different posts about how to improve your practice sessions things like standing vs sitting, way to hold a guitar to reduce fatigue ..... One post that really interested in talked about recording your practice sessions. What kind of equipment do I need to do this. I'm On session 5 of the Learn and master course and I want to start out with good practice habits.

You could do that fairly easily and cheaply on a PC or a Mac just by purchasing an inexpensive mic and using some free software or you could buy one of the portable digital recorders from makers such as Zoom, Tascam etc.

Zoom Handy Recorder, just about all you'd need for what you mention.

I have one of these: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

And I can record acoustic performances right off my sound board, (if you have your level set right, it's very good)

or youc an capture the room sound if the band is working on some arrangements or originals or what ever. (for this it's not pristine, but you can certainly hear everything you need to hear, the bass and drums REALLY get picked up.)

I also have an old Roland VS880EX. I bet you can find them for a song and a dance on EBAY.

• 3 months later...

Zoom Handy Recorder, just about all you'd need for what you mention.

I have one of these: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

And I can record acoustic performances right off my sound board, (if you have your level set right, it's very good)

or youc an capture the room sound if the band is working on some arrangements or originals or what ever. (for this it's not pristine, but you can certainly hear everything you need to hear, the bass and drums REALLY get picked up.)

I also have an old Roland VS880EX. I bet you can find them for a song and a dance on EBAY.

I have that same H-2 recorder for the past 6 yrs and it works great.

I also use N-Track...It works very good, with great support.

You may want to get a small mixer, I use the Yamaha MV12 It's in a way to big for me, I should have gotton the smaller Yamaha mixer.

Buy the way Im no pro...just a picker with a few guitars.

Cheers

I use a Tascam DR-05 for this exact purpose (and recording gigs). It's a portable hand-held recorder about the size of a cigarette pack, battery powered, memory card, etc. I think it cost me about $75, and is an amazing little machine for the price, and VERY versatile. Playback can be through a built-in speaker (pretty cheesy), headphones, or plug into a home stereo or computer.

Tascam had a very nice line of little stand-alone recorders to fit most any budget.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived