Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Locks for ES 335

junglejem

Just acquired a Memphis ES-335. Wonderful instrument. But I can't figure out what to do about strap locks....seems the screws are different (tailpiece strap pin versus heel strap pin, which makes no sense). I cannot get a matching set of strap locks. Indeed, I can't find anything that works on the tail strap pin. Am I missing something here?

I've used the Schaller's for years. For the tailpin, shave down a toothpick in half. Put a dab of super glue on it (or not, it will stay in place either way) and insert into the tailpin screw hole. Install the strap lock button, and it will stay in place.

If you install strap locks, remove the old strap buttons and install the new buttons using the screws that come with the strap locks. The hole in the heel may need to be filled with a toothpick like cjmwrx said, because the existing screw in the heel is pretty large and the hole is too big to just install the screw without filling it in with something.

See here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5xrxBi361w

For consistency, I put Schallers on my ES 335 Dot when I purchased it in February. I'm just a student and don't use a strap much yet. My Fender strat came with Schallers so I had them installed on the Les Paul and now the ES.

I use Dunlop dual design strap locks for years on my all of my electrics. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dual-design

I just put them on my 335 and this is what I had to do:

1) The neck/body button was removed and a 7/64 drill bit used to deepen the existing hole just a little bit, then installed the strap lock button with the screw that comes with the strap lock.

2) The body button was removed and the stock screw head was filed down until it fit inside the strap lock button, and the existing hole was deepened just a little bit (the stock button is thicker than the Dunlop), installed the strap lock button.

That's it.

• 3 weeks later...

Grolsch beer grommets. Cheap and you get beer. Win Win.

+1, burp, excuse me! I don't use strap-locks on ES-xxx or SG's. I'm anal about scratching the area by the heal when removing and installing the strap with locks.

However, I've got Schallars on all my Les Pauls, Strats, and Teles. I was misguided thinking I can use the same strap; but ended up getting a strap for each one...GAS'n you guys understand!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived