Gibson Brands Forums

Best acoustic under 1500, any brand.

Thundergod

What acoustic would you recommend as the best with a 1500 bucks budget? I'm looking for an acoustic that sounds good and looks good, there isn't many models and brands here and most of them are really cheap sounding (probably because they are utterly cheap lol).

I am on the fence about getting a guitar made by a known brand or having it made locally by a luthier... the guy that builds guitars I like will charge about 2K... which means I could get a 1500 guitar + hardcase + shipping and taxes if I find one interesting enough.

So, what guitars are you using that you would recommend? And why did you pick that brand/model over others you tried?

I love my 2013 Gibson J-35. It looks great and sounds fantastic too. There's also the J-15 that goes for a few hundred left. Call your local 5 star dealer Gibson dealer and ask them which one sounds the best. Good luck!

TG, I won't recommend any "brand," per se...everyone has their own favorites.

What I would recommend, especially when shopping for an "acoustic," or even

an "acoustic/electric," is to narrow down the models, within your price range,

and try out as many as you can, of every model, and brand, available. It's

really the only way to find "The One!" You can find "reviews," on lots of

models, in "Acoustic Guitar" magazine, or "on line," as well. And, don't rule

out "used, but not abused," models, either. A good/great, well taken care of,

older acoustic guitar, has improved with age, and playing, and will continue

to do so.

Have Fun, looking, and trying them out! And, Good Luck! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Also, do you have a preference for body shapes (guitar's that is...lol)?!

That can affect sound/tone, quite a bit, as well as volume and projection,

too. So, lots of things, beyond price, to seriously consider, when buying

an "acoustic!"

CB

[thumbup]

May affect playing position, too. A convenient posture can be a vital part of the player's performance. A guitar which is a fun to play will sound better. [biggrin]

Thanks for the replies. I have to see what the local dealers are packing these days, from what I've seen so far most of it is the same old Chinese stuff.

Also, do you have a preference for body shapes (guitar's that is...lol)?!

That can affect sound/tone, quite a bit, as well as volume and projection,

too. So, lots of things, beyond price, to seriously consider, when buying

an "acoustic!"

CB

I don't care about dreadnaught or jumbo bodies, I like concert, classic and parlor shapes, don't think I'll be needing a cutaway model.

I am on the fence about getting a guitar made by a known brand or having it made locally by a luthier... the guy that builds guitars I like will charge about 2K... which means I could get a 1500 guitar + hardcase + shipping and taxes if I find one interesting enough.

I figure 1500 should get you a very decent guitar of any brand.

So for a 1500 guitar + hardcase + shipping and taxes,,, you are at the 2 grand anyway.

I would go with your luthier.

I don't know what your local luthier can do but if that were me I would go with my local guy.

I have to imagine what he builds will be really nice and you can likely pick the woods you want.

Ask him how much to build you a D-28 or a J-45...

If you want a brand made one,, you should go play as many as you can.

even the same guitar will be different. You really need to find one you like.

You have to play them.

If I had $1500-$2000 to spend on an acoustic, I personally would look at Taylor's 300 series. A 314 or 310 should leave you with change out of $1500...or change out of $2000 if you go for the CE models (Cutaway with electronics). Love those guitars.

But once again, all subjective. Go out and try them.

-Ryan

Hey TG, how the heck are you???? Nice to hear from you.

I do like my Taylor. I tried many of them. I'd say that a Gibson sounds better unplugged but once I plugged in the Taylor with its Expression System, it just blew me away. I never even thought about looking at a Taylor until someone told me I should. Once I did I was hooked. Plus they have great customer support from what my tech says. He said that an Expression System had broken on one but was way out of its warranty period. Taylor still replaced it for free.

SOOOooo subjective .... I have loved several and lost lots .... most recent acquisition is a Stonebridge. Originally they were Furch a European company that specialized in high end violins. I just love mine and everyone I have played at "Music Pro" They run from $1200 and up Can$. Good Luck ... but do yourself a solid and try one out

A440

The Yamaha A series are nice for the money. I've got an AC3M all solid wood, concert style A/E. The plugged in and the acoustic tone is great.

I've got one of those, and its fantastic! I was going to get a Taylor (also very nice) until I played the Yamaha. It's even better if you put Elixir Nanowebs on it, but as has been mentioned, particularly with acoustics, one Man's meat is anther Man's poison.

Ian

I think CB really nailed it in terms of preferences and variables.

My own batch of flattops, first note that all are AE. Have been since I got my first two that were among the first true AE instruments back in the relatively early '70s, an Ovation Electric Legend and an Ovation Country Artist nylon. Still have 'em and they still work exceptionally well and easily paid for themselves and then put cash in my pockets in a few months of weekend pickin'. And they were relatively expensive for the day.

Note that I'm a grouchy old man who won't buy a guitar above $1,000 - probably not above $500 - without being able to play it. Given I live in the boonies, that's a big restriction right there.

I also haven't played a Taylor I was willing to put down cash to purchase.

In my case (grin to that), I have an Epi Masterbuilt hog J version for flatpicking in "old time" groups. It's very, very good sounding all-wood J-type sorta sound; I like the neck. It's just not all that comfortable for me to do more fine-fingerpickin' stuff on, although it does work exceptionally well overall. In spite of complaints on the system, I also think the Shadow two-pickup setup works marvelously.

Now you folks can laugh at the old man because overall my favorite and most-played-out AE is a "cheapie." It's an Epi PR5e. It's an all laminated AE of just about the same size and shape as an ES175 except with the longer scale. I'd doggone nearly be willing to pay the whole price again just to have a 24-inch scale, even a 24 3/4 scale neck put on it. Nevertheless, it works very nicely for my mostly gentle fingerpickin'. Forget "dollar for dollar value," I have a lotta far more expensive instruments that sit in their cases at home or "out" while I'm pickin' away at this one. It's not a "great sound," but AE it's a pro-quality sound that's just fine for me.

I just got an Epi EL-00 Pro that's about the same dimensions and concept as Gibbies of the same provenance. It's a small body with the 24 3/4 inch scale and a solid top AE. It's quite inexpensive and so far, sounds fine either AE or acoustic if you don't really bang on it. If I reeeeally like it, I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the Gibbie versions if I ever get outa town to a store where they might have one.

Frankly I think that although Gibson and Martin are marvelous instruments, there are some exceptionally playable acoustic and AE instruments out there for under $1,000 - in fact, under $750 street. Epi has necks I like. Eastman ditto.

CB also is almost certainly correct in noting that how one holds an acoustic, IMHO even an AE, can make a significant difference in how the thing sounds. Ditto one's string choices matching with technique and one's personal geometry while playing.

As to the total "acoustic purists," I think we have to face facts that any recording and any PA-amped show also is "electrified" via a specific mike, board settings and speakers live, and recorded there are even more variables. I think the AE gives me more personal control - but then a lot always will depend on the board.

That's why I tend to be a total "playability" freak assuming a decent instrument upward in price. Ain't nothin' gonna sound like your ear 25 inches from the soundhole as you're pickin' or 4 feet from a partner who's pickin' too. So then IMHO it's what helps me play what I consider most appropriate for a given style/gig.

m

What acoustic would you recommend as the best with a 1500 bucks budget? I'm looking for an acoustic that sounds good and looks good, there isn't many models and brands here and most of them are really cheap sounding (probably because they are utterly cheap lol).

So, what guitars are you using that you would recommend? And why did you pick that brand/model over others you tried?

For the money you spend the Epi Hummingbird sounds incredible for 300, the Taylor 114 actually sounds better than the 214 imo, and the Martin d16rgt is amazing at 1250 new. Of course, i love love LOVE antique Guild 12 strings from the 80s, the d-212 i thought sounded better than all their more expensive models.

Archived