Gibson Brands Forums

Mini-humbucker squals in new Nighthawk Reissue

thouston

I just brought a new Nighthawk, and the mini-humbucker squeals at high volume. Does anyone else who owns one have the same problem?

All electric guitars, each and every one ever made, from the first day the first electric guitar was ever assembled and run through an amplifier, will "feedback" and make a "squealing" noise lolmellow.gif. No matter what type of pickups, all electric guitars feed back at various volumes and distances from the attached amplifier. That's how electric guitars, solid body, semi-hollow body and full hollow body electric guitars work. They all feed back to a greater or lesser degree/extent at high volume, not only Epiphone Nighthawk electric guitars, but all electric guitars ever made, by anyone, from the very first day the electric guitar was invented. Just the way it is. msp_rolleyes.gif

If you want to reduce feedback, move the guitar the furthest distance possible from the amp, do not face the guitar towards the amp, and play it at a volume that it won't feedback and squeal. msp_rolleyes.gif

There is nothing wrong with your guitar, that's how electric guitars work. If you want a guitar that doesn't feed back, get an acoustic guitar, and don't play it through an amplifier.msp_unsure.gif

I'm getting the feeling that the responders here are missing the point of the question. Tony (the OP) is a professional guitarist and he seems to be concerned about a potential problem with his Nighthawk rather than the way things generally are in the world of electric guitars.

Maybe the squealing is due to the lack of wax potting in the Nighthawk humbucker pickups.

I'm getting the feeling that the responders here are missing the point of the question. Tony (the OP) is a professional guitarist and he seems to be concerned about a potential problem with his Nighthawk rather than the way things generally are in the world of electric guitars.

Maybe the squealing is due to the lack of wax potting in the Nighthawk humbucker pickups.

wellsaid m/b !

Wax potting will help to some degree, but another real world solution that works on stage or in studio is moving around (even behind) the amp.

I just hope we didn't run him off..........

Good reply. Replace the pickups, if possible, with something else, if possible, and see if the squealing goes away or bring it to where you got it (an authorized Epiphone guitar dealer ?), show them the guitar and see what they have to say about the squeal (bring it to the dealer before you replace the pickups). Good luck

I just brought a new Nighthawk, and the mini-humbucker squeals at high volume. Does anyone else who owns one have the same problem?

Hi , If it makes that kind of sound and its not feedback . then i would call customer service. or return it i have a stock one and it sounds great and plays great .

I know they meant well, but you're right. Also, I'm thinking it's a potting issue. When I change strings, I'm going to take a look at that PUP. My Epi Dot, and Flying V don't squeal at all at 'high' volume.

I know they meant well, but you're right. Also, I'm thinking it's a potting issue. When I change strings, I'm going to take a look at that PUP. My Epi Dot, and Flying V don't squeal at all at 'high' volume.

I recently did the 'Peter Green magnet flip mod' on one of my guitars which meant removing the cover which broke up the wax inside. When I put it back together there was some squealing at high-ish volumes. On the advice of a friend I removed the cover again, removed all the wax from the top of the coils, put a piece of insulation tape (electrical safety tape) on the top of the coils where they join, replaced the cover and held it tightly to the base with a g-clamp while I resoldered the sides. Without the wax the tone of the pickup is much more open, and the tight fitting cover stops all of the squealing. The coils themselves remain waxed of course. I was so pleased with the improvement in the tone that I subsequently removed the wax from the bridge pickup and then did both of the pickups on my Wilshire. For my money, wax kills tone. Other opinions are available and are perfectly valid of course.

I recently did the 'Peter Green magnet flip mod' on one of my guitars which meant removing the cover which broke up the wax inside. When I put it back together there was some squealing at high-ish volumes. On the advice of a friend I removed the cover again, removed all the wax from the top of the coils, put a piece of insulation tape (electrical safety tape) on the top of the coils where they join, replaced the cover and held it tightly to the base with a g-clamp while I resoldered the sides. Without the wax the tone of the pickup is much more open, and the tight fitting cover stops all of the squealing. The coils themselves remain waxed of course. I was so pleased with the improvement in the tone that I subsequently removed the wax from the bridge pickup and then did both of the pickups on my Wilshire. For my money, wax kills tone. Other opinions are available and are perfectly valid of course.

My '72 Strat squealed and I potted the pickups, and you're right, the tone sucked. I waited almost 20ys before sending the pickups to Lindy Fralin and had them vacuum potted, that made a huge different. I'm gonna email Will (Dr Epiphone)first before I do anything.

100_0578.jpg

• 10 months later...

Nice guitar. I've often put a min-bucker in the neck position.

Here's a Squier Mars Stagemaster with an Artec 8.5k mini in the neck via an adapter plate. The bridge is a DiMarzio Tone Zone.

Mars%20full%20moded_zpswpdpwuan.jpg

Mars%20body%20modded_zpsjelomjcy.jpg

I was very surprised at how good the Artec mini sounds :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived