Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone familiar w/ maple bodied OM sized Masterbilts?

dannyelectro

Picked up a Masterbilt OM (EF-500P) a few days ago. Solid maple back, sides, and 3pc maple neck.

Unable to find any mention of this model on Epi's site. No hits searching online.

Lots of info, comments, reviews about the maple Masterbilt dreadnought, but nothing about the orchestra model.

Guitar appears to be genuine, but it seems strange to be unable to find ANY information about it?

Any ideas?

Definetely discontinued...check the epiphonewiki site for clarification.I have been looking for a DR500-P for a while on ebay. I think they offered the DR and AJ models in maple, but was not aware of the EF but in the world of Epiphone, nothing would surprise me.

Thx for your replies.

I couldn't find anything either, on Epi's active OR discontinued lists.

Case still had Epi sticker w/ model designation, serial #, etc. I'm a big Masterbilt (bang for the buck) fan anyway, but one reason I jumped on it so quickly was it seemed to be a relatively unknown "odd duck".

Nice guitar though. Nothing fancy or ornamental, pretty run-o-the-mill maple back & sides (no figuring to speak of). But straight grain maple sounds just as bright as figured wood. Def louder than the RCCE EF I used to have. Martin Phosphor/bronze silk strings on the way to sweeten it up a little.

I'll get some photos posted over the weekend.

Cheers

Thx for your replies.

I couldn't find anything either, on Epi's active OR discontinued lists.

Case still had Epi sticker w/ model designation, serial #, etc. I'm a big Masterbilt (bang for the buck) fan anyway, but one reason I jumped on it so quickly was it seemed to be a relatively unknown "odd duck".

Nice guitar though. Nothing fancy or ornamental, pretty run-o-the-mill maple back & sides (no figuring to speak of). But straight grain maple sounds just as bright as figured wood. Def louder than the RCCE EF I used to have. Martin Phosphor/bronze silk strings on the way to sweeten it up a little.

I'll get some photos posted over the weekend.

Cheers

A search of epiphonewiki was unsuccessful as well. Is there a chance that its not a Masterbilt? Of course, maybe a prototype escaped under the radar or something like that? I went and re-watched the promotional video on youtube and they specifically mention what wood sides and backs each model was available in. From that video, maple sides and backs was only available in the DR line. You've got me curious now...

Epi-wiki, google, days of searching... unable to find anything on this one.

Def a Masterbilt.. stickpin headstock inlay, Masterbilt truss rod cover, matte finish, "offset" dimple peghead, V-neck, gold Grover "Waverlies", 3-pc maple neck (not including heel),EF-500PNS designation on label and factory sticker on early Masterbilt semi-hard case w/ hygrometer.

No prototype notations anywhere. SN is G03100321.

Seriously.. I'll get some photos up this weekend.

I'm guessing prototype, too. Never heard of either maple EF body or a three piece Masterbilt neck (if by that you mean three pieces that run the length of the neck, as found on may archtops).

Can't wait for the pictures.

Red 333

Well this is very interesting. This has got to be a pre-production model. AFAIK, the EF models didnt hit the shelves until 2004. Yours is a 2003. It can be normal for a guitar to be made at the end of one year for the next model year, but this just makes me think even more that this is pre-production.

Well this is very interesting. This has got to be a pre-production model. AFAIK, the EF models didnt hit the shelves until 2004. Yours is a 2003. It can be normal for a guitar to be made at the end of one year for the next model year, but this just makes me think even more that this is pre-production.

Well.. this is Nashville after all.

Stranger things have happened.

Snapped some quick & dirty photos. No daylight available.. waited until "the boss" headed to work. She doesn't know one guitar from the other, but she DOES know that photos means NGD. Did NOT need THAT hassle.

Top, back, low side, high side, headstock, tuners, label, 3 piece neck, & case.

EF500PTop_zpsdad9059d.jpg

EF500PBack_zpsac017f8b.jpg

EF500PLowside_zps690cdfab.jpg

EF500PHighside_zps84d68394.jpg

EF500PHeadstock_zps8a3b028b.jpg

EF500PTuners_zpsca105263.jpg

EF500PLabel_zps00e669b3.jpg

EF500P3pcNeck_zpsd0c051ff.jpg

EF500PCase_zps33bda276.jpg

Searching the acoustic guitar forum a gentleman there bought a EF-500PNS sometime in 2005, apparently in NYC, so that effectively eliminates the theory of it being a prototype (unless you purchased his)?

Let me make this even more interesting, another post on there a gentleman mentioned he had a EF-500 ANS (not listed in the Epiphonewiki either).

MasterbiltEF500ANS.jpg

MasterbiltEFANSback.jpg

MasterbiltEF500ANS.jpg

Whoa.. Epi sold OM-45s?! Gorgeous.

Nah, too "factory" looking to think it was a prototype. SN, production label, stocking sticker on case, etc. Just a local find straight off of craigslist.

Wondering why so little info available on a regular production model though?

(Not a slam.. but I kinda fell off AGF when enough forumers decided the chinese build Masterbilt was the anti-christ. Supporting the Chi-Coms, etc. Guess the last straw for me was when it was agreed that Masterbilts were not real guitars, but guitar shaped consumer products. That was all the fun I could stand.)

Gotta say that is a beauty, I think this can down as a diamond in the rough. Enjoy and I would hope you plan on keepin her around.

Finally past the point of trading away "keepers". (I hope..) (I think..) (I'm pretty sure).

This plain matte finished box has no flash/glam/pretty wood grain, ornamentation, anything, but it feels right and sounds better than it feels.

I'm still looking for that 12-fret slothead AJ, but I don't think I'd trade this for it.

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've read mostly good things about the line everywhere. There are threads that I don't agree with, that's what makes life interesting. People get so fanatical about brands (Harley-Davidson) that no one else is any good, same attitudes pervade the guitar world. You'd think Martin never made a disappointing guitar from the way some people talk (I'm a Martin owner btw). So at the end of the day we love our Masterbilts and that's all that matters!

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've read mostly good things about the line everywhere. There are threads that I don't agree with, that's what makes life interesting. People get so fanatical about brands (Harley-Davidson) that no one else is any good, same attitudes pervade the guitar world. You'd think Martin never made a disappointing guitar from the way some people talk (I'm a Martin owner btw). So at the end of the day we love our Masterbilts and that's all that matters!

Definitely I wouldn't trade mine for any other brand, its proven itself to me and many other who believe a good quality acoustic is 2 grand or more. But I believe that this is a very rare masterbuilt guitar and that he is lucky to have it.

Searching the acoustic guitar forum a gentleman there bought a EF-500PNS sometime in 2005, apparently in NYC, so that effectively eliminates the theory of it being a prototype (unless you purchased his)?

Let me make this even more interesting, another post on there a gentleman mentioned he had a EF-500 ANS (not listed in the Epiphonewiki either).

MasterbiltEF500ANS.jpg

MasterbiltEFANSback.jpg

The EF-500ANS was introduced in 2004 as one of the first modern Masterbilt models, and sold for a couple of years. It's probably just an oversight if it is missing from the wikki.

The EF500P never appeared in a catalog, as far as I know. I do believe it is a prototype, photo sample, or one of a small number made as a test run, especially because of the label: the first catalog pictures of Masterbilts (2004) showed them with the standard oval label that all Epiphones got at the time (these would have been guitars built especially as photo samples and for trade shows, etc.). However, production models were released with the unique square label with Masterbilt logo.

Whatever you want to call these oval-label Masterbilts, the maple EF was very likely from this extremely limited batch, and was disposed of (sold) to recoup costs, once it was determined that model would not be sold commercially. This is a common practice by Gibson/Epiphone, and results in the unearthing of some oddballs from time to time. The other maple EF example you found on the Acoustic Guitar forum would be one of these. The timing is right, since Masterbilts were introduced as 2004 models, and you say he bought it in 2005.

FWIW, Gibson prototypes are usually embossed with a protype marking, but I don't think Epiphone models are.

Red 333

Archived