Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Gibson SG Special

TimeEnuf

I am a newbie to this forum, but would like some help with this guitar. I believe it is a 1963 Gibson SG special. It plays extremely well, and sounds great, but I have concerns about the extra two holes behind the bridge, and why they are there. Does this take away from the value? From what I can tell everything else seems original. There is some checkering of the surface, but I think that would be expected for the age of the guitar.

I have the opportunity to buy this guitar, but not sure of its value. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-64564-016505800 1396825625_thumb.jpg

post-64564-023536000 1396825647_thumb.jpg

post-64564-077028600 1396825664_thumb.jpg

post-64564-066228000 1396825680_thumb.jpg

post-64564-088207500 1396825710_thumb.jpg

I think those holes are from the tremolo unit being moved forward a cm or two. I bet if you unscrewed it, you'd see the hole from the middle screw underneath.

The only person that can tell you what that guitar is worth is the highest bidder. All vintage guitars are evaluated on a case by case basis. You could pay someone $50 to appraise it but the number would only be useful in an insurance claim situation.

Looks like a neat guitar.

The SG has always been my favorite guitar to play. I have owned two in the past. The first one I traded for a 1976 Flying V(back in my young and dumb days), the second one I had to sell to help finance a divorce.

The guitar is a private sell, from someone I know that asked if I was interested in buying it, because he was in need of some cash.

I have seen a huge range in pricing on '63 SG's on the internet. I believe that the SG standard is the more expensive model than the special(dot) model.

The asking price is $2,500. My question is if it is a 1963 SG special, is that a fair price?

One thing that I have noticed since posting the pictures, is that one of the knobs is different from the others.

The SG has always been my favorite guitar to play. I have owned two in the past. The first one I traded for a 1976 Flying V(back in my young and dumb days), the second one I had to sell to help finance a divorce.

The guitar is a private sell, from someone I know that asked if I was interested in buying it, because he was in need of some cash.

I have seen a huge range in pricing on '63 SG's on the internet. I believe that the SG standard is the more expensive model than the special(dot) model.

The asking price is $2,500. My question is if it is a 1963 SG special, is that a fair price?

One thing that I have noticed since posting the pictures, is that one of the knobs is different from the others.

Yeah, it looks like one of the knobs was changed to the witch hat style knob. If the neck is straight and playable and the electronics were good, I'd probably buy it. So if you don't end up buying it then let me know. Good luck!

That is not too bad of an asking price, if everything is straight-up! I have a '65 SG special. Your wiring looks to be original and similar in layout to mine. Mine has a different style Vibrola unit than what is on the one that you picture....Great guitars as long as the neck is stable!

Rod

Thanks for the input guys.

I have had the guitar for a few days now to checkout and play.

I am going to go ahead and buy it.

Having had a couple of SG's in the past, playing this guitar is like coming home to something comfortable and familiar.

As far as the one knob being different and the extra holes, it just adds to it's character.

I am not so much into collecting, as I as I am in to playing.

The fact that it is a 1963 is just icing on the cake.

Archived