Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation

I have a Gibson L-00 Pro. My 6th string has some intonation issues. It's especially noticeable when I drop the 6th string down to D. When I get that D in tune with the 4th string then play a G chord (fretting the low G note on the 5th fret) the G note is quite sharp. If I tune the string to get the G note correct, the open D is flat. In standard tuning, the E at the 12 fret is sharp compared to the tuned open E. It has a Tusq compensated saddle.

I know that on mandolins, when you get intonation problems you move the bridge forward if it's flat and back when it's sharp. It seems to me that somehow the contact point where that 6th string crosses the saddle needs to be a bit further back to correct the sharp note. Or am I off base?

The question is what is the correct thing to use to alter that contact point?

I'd really like to change that saddle out and for a bone one, but I am concerned about working the saddle to get the intonation correct on all the strings. I am not the most deft person with tools, but I'm thinking I should learn how to get this done myself.

Any advice?

I should add the saddle fits very loosely in the slot and falls out when the strings are off. It appears to be leaning forward when the strings are brought up to pitch as well. I'm wondering if that loose fit is due to that transducer in there. (The transducer barely picks up the first and second strings when plugged in. Low strings it's quite loud.)

Archived