Gibson Brands Forums

Your First Les Paul

dbrian66

My first Les Paul was a 1977 Artisan which I bought in 1981.

Two years later (1983) is was stolen from a music store that was doing work on it for me.

Five years later it was found at another (famous) music store and I negotiated with the store

to come pick it up. It suddenly 'disappeared' from the store and the 'owners' denied they ever had it,Even though I 'found' it in their display case the week before.

Any way, I was never able to afford another Les Paul until last year, when I picked up a 1983 Standard with the Kahler tremolo and Tim Shaw pickups.

This is similar to my old Les Paul ( but not the same),,,

00103ff9-0dcf-47a3-97de-e9f176829058.JPG

I don't have any current photos of my new (to me) Les. I'll get some up later.

That's quite the story. I only wish it had a happier ending :(

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first was a 1980 wine red Standard with a Dimarzio PAF in front and a Super Distortion in back. I traded a poorly refinished 1955 ES-295, a basket case '67 Coronado and a 60s Epiphone Cortez for it. I kept it about 3 weeks and traded it for a 50s Hofner Commitee archtop. That was in the spring of '85.

My first LP was a knockoff ( a Lotus, I think ) back around 1980. Last fall I picked up an Epiphone LP Standard Plus Top Pro, which I really liked, but then had a chance to get an actual LP. I resold the Epi for what I originally paid for it to a co-worker, and bought a 2014 LP Studio Pro + a Marshall DSL40C amp, both less than a month old, for $1500.00 from someone local. That was like getting a free $700.00 amp with the guitar, too good to pass up on, and I totally love the guitar.

SAM_0049_zps4ed8a354.jpg

SAM_0048_zpsd32c70bf.jpg

My first 'real' Gibson LP is the Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Standard - went to the local store to just while away a few hours (only a few weeks ago) with no intention of purchasing anything & got the opportunity to play it. Couldn't leave it in the shop... I had already purchased one of the Epiphone JB gold tops a few years back having fallen for the look (which plays / sounds pretty good) but the standard is just magnificent - great neck for me as a smaller handed guitarist.

Prior to that I have a '96 Epiphone LP Custom Flame Top

My first Les Paul was an Epiphone LP Ultra-III. Unfortunately, it had major quality issues...I went through 4 of them in 5 months before I gave up on it. There were loads of hardware issues, like the tuner not working, etc... And when I finally got one where all the hardware worked, I couldn't get rid of some major fret buzz...nor could a Gibson/Epi dealer that I eventually took it to (not the same store I bought it from).

My first GIBSON LP was purchased within hours of returning the Epi U3, and I've enjoyed playing her since. She's a 2011 '50s Tribute with humbuckers, and she's the best guitar I've ever played. :D

Scarlett...

Scarlett4-5-14-1a_zps63664cd3.jpg

A 2000 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Limited Edition in Wine Red.

Both my first Gibson and my first Les Paul - Purchased in 2012 @ the age of 44

Scarlett4-5-14-2a_zpsaed09926.jpg

My first Les Paul style guitar was a lawsuit era Memphis Brand Les Paul copy in Tobacco burst same color as this one: circa 1983 or 1984

MemphisLPCopy.jpg

(I have no actual pictures of it. It's long gone)

Mine had black & cream colored open bobbins and no coil taps...

As for why... I just had to have a real Gibson Les Paul!

As much as I think a good copy can be a superb guitar, (I love my Vintage brand V100's) There's just something about having a real Gibson Les Paul that I had to experience for myself...

I do also think the electronics are simply superior in the real deal vs any of the copies. They just seem to have more "power." The output is simply superior from the 2 Gibson Les Pauls, I now have, over my knock-offs, even if I think the copies are exceptional and superb too...

As for where... eBay. I saved for over a year to buy Scarlett. I was smitten with a Wine Red Deluxe and had to have one! I found one for a steal and took a gamble and it was a keeper! Sounds, plays, and feels awesome!

I've been very lucky w/eBay...

My first Les Paul was this 2000 Standard Lite and I still own it. This model seemed to be somewhat of an experiment if you look at the specs. I believe Gibson only made this model for two years.

Specs:

'59 asymmetrical slim taper neck

492R/'57T pickups

chambered body

rosewood fingerboard

gold truss rod cover/hardware

strap locks came stock with the guitar from the factory

R1-20A_zpsceaaba22.jpg

Would love to get my hands on a "The Paul".......those were under rated screamers.

NHTom

That was my first one. I got in 1980 but it may have been a '79. I bought it from some high school chums who worked in a music store. Pretty sure they stole it. It had the T-Top pups and it really did scream. Unfortunately I didn't keep it. In fact I painted it white and sold it for the $200 I paid for it.

I don't have pics of it, but it looked exactly like this one...

ThePaul.jpg

I got my first Les Paul in 1991. I was 23 years old when I went to my local guitar store intent on buying the black Maison Les Paul I'd been saving up for. When I arrived at the store like I had done many times before I was very close to just grabbing the £499 Maison Guitar and rushing home but there was another black Les Paul hanging next to it, I'd not seen this guitar in the shop before. This new guitar weighed twice as much as the Maison and said 'Gibson' on the headstock, it had some pretty fancy looking inlays.

I knew nothing about Les Paul's at the time, the Internet didn't exist back then! The guy in the shop explained that the Maison was a brand new copy of a Gibson Les Paul and the other guitar was the real thing but was used. He also explained that the pickups on the Gibson were shot and made a horrible feedback noise so the guitar had been reduced in price to £599. Despite it being used and ignoring the advice about the pickups I preferred the Gibson, a few days later I'd scraped together the extra £100 and it was mine. I somehow managed to figure out how to solder in some Seymour Duncan pickups and gigged that guitar for 10 years.

It wasn't until years later that I found out what the 25/50 on the Headstock meant and that the guitar was a little bit special. I was very lucky to stumble in to owning this guitar. It's easy to forget how hard it was to find out about things you wanted to buy before the Internet was invented. The main reason I wanted a Les Paul was because Billy Duffy from The Cult played them and I thought they looked cool!

I got into Fender Offsets in the late nineties and the Les Paul has only been out of it's case a few times since. It was almost sold quite a few times when money was tight but I couldn't bring myself to part with it. Over 20 years after buying that Les Paul I've just picked up my 2nd and I'm enjoying being back in the Gibson camp again. At over 11lbs the 25/50 just feels too heavy for me these days so I've picked up a Silverburst custom which is a much more usable 9lbs.

Many years later thanks to the web I learned how to wax pot pickups and have since repaired the original 25/50 microphonic pickups and returned it to it's original state, I'm very attached to it and always will be.

les_paul_25-50-2.jpg

les_paul_25-50-4.jpg

I got this Les Paul classic maybe 3-4 years ago. I have been wanting a classic since 2000. I played one at a guitar center and fell in love with the neck and pickups. At that time I was playing different Ibanzes and schecters.i could not afford a Gibson so i traded in some of the others for a Korean Epiphone, gutted it and tried to make a classic out of it. 3-4 years ago i had a opportunity to try and get one, I searched criagslists high and low and made a lot of offers on different classics. Unfortunately i kind of low ball some guys but always kind of left it as "if you don't get what your asking for here is my offer". Finally some one took the offer. i had to drive into Brooklyn at rush hour and in the middle of a snow storm to get it. It was at the guys rehearsal space and when i got there the guitar was not in good condition. There was sweat caked on the fret board, the body looked like he never cleaned it and the strings were black. I got him to come down a little bit dew to the condition. After a 5 hour round trip to Brooklyn ( normally a 45 minute ride to Brooklyn) I got it home and started cleaning it up. it started really cleaning up really good. I took it to my local guitar shop and had a fret dressing do on it and a complete setup done.

Its a good player, but show its age a little. I'm really glad I have it in my stable. Its a 2002 none molested. I was thinking of changing the tuners and even thought about a flat black finish but came to my senses. People have offered almost double what I got it for but I chose to hold on to it.

So here is my $800 2002 Les Paul classic with the brown and pink case.

post-31273-090042400 1398212854_thumb.jpg

post-31273-097293700 1398212875_thumb.jpg

My first Les Paul was an Epiphone Les Paul. I got it when I was 12. It was a 3 pickup Heritage Cherry Sunburst les Paul. The middle pickup was added. Unfortunately, I don't have the guitar anymore, nor have pictures of it or me with it.

My first was a Studio Worn Brown and I loved it.

Such a shame a sold it !

This was her stock:

IMG_2796.jpg

And this after my modifications (looks only)

IMG_2910.jpg

Then moved on to a 08 Standard:

013.jpg

And now have my sole mate, my 2011 R8

GibsonLesPaul1958VOS006.jpg

• 1 month later...

My first Les Paul was a 2004 Standard, and to this day, I regret selling her as she sounded so much nicer than my current Studio (alas, needed the funds at the time). Here she is, 50's neck, Heritage Cherry with her old stablemate, my old TSL100H & 1960A.

I got her when I was shopping for a PRS Singlecut as it happened. Played the PRS and it lacked soul. Picked up the LP and instantly fell in love. Smooth yet gnarly when needed and full of character.

1383923_10151644871592031_570016788_n.jpg

My first Les Paul was a 2004 Standard, and to this day, I regret selling her as she sounded so much nicer than my current Studio (alas, needed the funds at the time). Here she is, 50's neck, Heritage Cherry with her old stablemate, my old TSL100H & 1960A.

I got her when I was shopping for a PRS Singlecut as it happened. Played the PRS and it lacked soul. Picked up the LP and instantly fell in love. Smooth yet gnarly when needed and full of character.

1383923_10151644871592031_570016788_n.jpg

I have never had to sell a guitar. Even my old plywood Kramer that I got when I was 14 I still have . I wish you still had your standard.

Archived