Gibson Brands Forums

Your First Les Paul

dbrian66

Thought it would be fun to post picks of our first Les Pauls. I have had a SG since 1996 and always loved it, but always kind of wished I had LP. To be honest, I just thought the Les Pauls were cooler. Finally bought one last year and have fallen in love with it. It is a 2011 Studio Classic 60's.

IMG_0726_zpsce92ad04.jpg

IMG_0729_zps9e4881bc.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 1980 LPC.... Picked it up at the Guitar Center of Hollywood in Feb of 1981.... I still have her..... Delivered a ton of Herald Examiner papers and working at Jack In The Box and Gemco.... I was 16 years old

gv1.jpg

gv6-1.jpg

I only have one photo of my first Gibson from a dark smokey rehearsal room :) It was a 92 or 93 (cant remember any more) wine red LP Studio with gold hardware...

Image4_zpsd774175a.jpg

I did love that guitar but when I got my Classic with its 60s neck the studio got sold as I didn't want to play the 50s neck any more. And I never looked back really :) All my Gibbies have 60s necks.

My first LP was a 97 Studio Gem in the amethyst color.

101_0189_zps3580f332.jpg

It had been modded with a 57 humbucker added in the bridge.

Love it and love the combo of the hum/p90 and big fan of how it plays.

Enjoyed it so much I've got an LP Special on the way to go with it.

NHTom

My 1980 LPC.... Picked it up at the Guitar Center of Hollywood in Feb of 1981.... I still have her..... Delivered a ton of Herald Examiner papers and working at Jack In The Box and Gemco.... I was 16 years old

gv1.jpg

gv6-1.jpg

My first Les Paul was a 1983 Deluxe in Cherry Burst. Thanks to Ace Frehley, I wanted to Rock & Roll and do it with a Gibson. Worked my butt off with a summer job, to get my dream. She is long gone, but I have fond memories ( no pictures).

[blush] Just don't want to admit it, but it took long, long years until I bought my first Les Paul. But whatever, I also didn't own my first Tele or Strat this time but an SG for nearly thirty years.

When they came with lots of switching options, I decided to go with a Standard Premium Plus 2012 Honey Burst. I swapped the truss rod cover with a blank one, the Top Hats with Speed Knobs which allow for easier pulling, and the stock tailpiece with a TP-6 fine tuning one:

DSC_0852_zpse25a048d.jpg

No other guitar model keeps up with the sustain of a Les Paul, in particular past the neck heel, although Explorers, Fender Telecasters with ash body and Weimann Blues Birds come pretty close.

1980 Les Paul Custom, tobacco sunburst, bought brand new on December 4, 1980 for $645. I was 17 and bagged a lot of groceries to pay for it. I bought it because I "thought" it was the same as what Alex Lifeson was playing in the pictures in Rush's "All the World's a Stage" album (I didn't understand the difference between a standard and a custom back then). I recently discovered that it has Shaw pickups. It has 300k volume pots and 100k tone pots, and I am thinking about trying some proper 500k pots all around. Still have the original black speed knobs in the case.

80LesPaul1_zpsc8837a84.jpg

80LesPaul2_zps252d292b.jpg

My first Les Paul was a 1983 "Reissue." Wasn't a reissue of any particular year, but they were clearly aiming for the Holy Grail '59. Faded 'burst finish (an iced tea color over bookmatched flamed maple & all my 'pauls have been the same color ever since).

She's long gone now. Sold her in '85. Don't even remember why or whatever possessed me to do so and I've regretted it many times since. As I remember, it was a heavy bugger, no chambering or weight relief (almost 11 pounds)and I've had better ones since then, but I do remember loving the feel & the color. So much so that my son recently felt the need to point out, "Dad, y'know they make other color Les Pauls, right?" LOL!!!

Still have 3, 2 Gibbys & an Epi...ALL "Iced Tea" 'bursts.

My one and only, a 1975 LP Standard.

2327165660_8aaa822982.jpg

When Gibson reintroduced the "Standard" in 1975 I already had a 1960 Stratocaster and a 1964 Firebird. I figured if I could get my hands on a tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard I would be the next Duane Allman. Bought this one from Mel Bay himself, at his retail store, with money saved up from lawn mowing and skate sharpening ($500).

Here's a "then and now" from early 1979 and the mid-2000's.

2526042425_51ee6a6a5a.jpg

By the way, the pickguard's back on it now.

My one and only, a 1975 LP Standard.

2327165660_8aaa822982.jpg

When Gibson reintroduced the "Standard" in 1975 I already had a 1960 Stratocaster and a 1964 Firebird. I figured if I could get my hands on a tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard I would be the next Duane Allman. Bought this one from Mel Bay himself, at his retail store, with money saved up from lawn mowing and skate sharpening ($500).

Here's a "then and now" from early 1979 and the mid-2000's.

2526042425_51ee6a6a5a.jpg

By the way, the pickguard's back on it now.

Sweet guitar Larry. Your guitar is more of what I meant to buy, had I understood the difference in LPs at the time.

I am originally from St. Louis myself. My father in law bought a 1959 Les Paul Junior brand new from Mel Bay and he still has it. How I wish he had sprung for the real deal!

My first was an XR-1. I was recovering from an accident and had just purchased a Charvel acoustic. But I couldn't hold the strings down, the action was high and I had a damaged left elbow. So I made a deal with a friend of mine, his Les Paul for my Charvel and $100. I paid about $300 for the acoustic, so I got the Gibson for about $400 total.

I ended up selling it when I was down and out and broke.

KtPJ0Bj.jpg

My first electric was a no-name LP copy. I've only ever owned one Gibson Les Paul, which I still have. I will have had it 10 years this November.

My wife wanted me to treat myself to a new guitar. We both thought I might get a PRS. She likes them because they are made nearby (only a few miles from where her brother lives) and she likes the Bird Inlays. :rolleyes: But,I had always wanted a real LP and in the end had to go with Gibson. I actually chose the Studio even though I could have easily gone with a Standard. I played a bunch of them and this Studio played and sounded as good as any of the Standards IMO, and it had a Plus top so it was about just as pretty although no binding. I figured I'd save at least $1000 and I wasn't worried about resale value. My wife was a little disappointed when I didn't come in with a PRS, but I don't regret it. I also don't regret not going with a "higher" model. It's also the best sounding solid body I've ever heard when played unplugged.

BestFriends01-1.jpg

Thought it would be fun to post picks of our first Les Pauls. I have had a SG since 1996 and always loved it, but always kind of wished I had LP. To be honest, I just thought the Les Pauls were cooler. Finally bought one last year and have fallen in love with it. It is a 2011 Studio Classic 60's.

Hey Dbrian. I just noticed your Avatar with the Studio and SG. Plus you are in Mt Airy. I'm in Pasadena and I have a similar photo of my Studio and SG. B)

Brothers012_zps208001f4.jpg

Matter of fact, last live gig I played was out in Mt Airy right before Christmas at a place called Memories Charcoal House.

JayMtAiry_zps7b028c25.jpg

Hey Dbrian. I just noticed your Avatar with the Studio and SG. Plus you are in Mt Airy. I'm in Pasadena and I have a similar photo of my Studio and SG. B)

Brothers012_zps208001f4.jpg

Matter of fact, last live gig I played was out in Mt Airy right before Christmas at a place called Memories Charcoal House.

JayMtAiry_zps7b028c25.jpg

We both have great taste when it comes to guitars! LOL. What's the name of your band?

My first electric was a no-name LP copy. I've only ever owned one Gibson Les Paul, which I still have. I will have had it 10 years this November.

BestFriends01-1.jpg

That's a great looking studio !

Very nice guitars, all!

My first Les Paul was a very recent purchase; only back in November.

It's a Gibson USA 2013 Les Paul Traditional Pro II, in a Merlot finish with chrome hardware. I have to say; it is my absolute pride and joy! [biggrin]

I had been looking to get a Les Paul all year; I lost a Fender Jaguar Special HH to theft the year before and returned to my faithful first Squier Strat. I first looked at the 2013 50's Tribute Les Paul, but just before I went through with it I saw that the Traditional Pro II was in my local.

I played a couple and liked them, so decided to save up a bit more and go for the Traditional Pro II. A few months passed by while I saved, and I eventually returned to the local and did another test. The 50's neck was a bit fat-feeling, even for my large hands; the 60's neck was much better, and had just the right width at the nut for my large fingers for easy chords. It just felt right.

My original choice was the Iced Tea finish, but my months of waiting meant that none remained. With ample stock of the 60's neck Merlot finish I placed my order and received it two days later. I was hungover that morning, but the guitar sure did cure that!

I've named it "Negroni" after the cocktail with the same colour; and since added a nickel cover to the bridge pickup as a sort-of tribute to Jimmy Page (and his #1 and #2 guitars, which had the bridge uncovered / neck covered look), and I've also added some Gibson knob pointers from their historic accessories line.

I've also recently acquired an older Les Paul Studio, which has a few more modifications.

Heres mine, I just got it after almost 30 years of wanting one and off an on playing. I broke down after having to give up my Stratocaster to my daughter that Ive owned for 27 years.

image_zps25f8d1fc.jpg

Ive had a thing for the Fender Strats and their amps since I started playing at 10, I could never save enough milk money to buy a LP because Id buy another Strat or a Charvel Model 2 or 3.

Long story short, it was a Standard or nothing and only if I could buy a Marshall. So I did both a couple weeks ago and don't laugh, but them doing away with the binding nibs caused me to run around and find the perfect leftover 2013 Standard for me.

My 1st Les Paul was the much underrated "The Paul" a 1980 model if I remember, basically a custom without the Maple top or gold hardware, but what a guitar, gorgeous neck that played like butter!! I recently saw a 1980 model again in excellent condition and wished I paid the 600 pounds it was up for, because the next day it had gone! [unsure]

My first Les Paul was a 1977 Artisan which I bought in 1981.

Two years later (1983) is was stolen from a music store that was doing work on it for me.

Five years later it was found at another (famous) music store and I negotiated with the store

to come pick it up. It suddenly 'disappeared' from the store and the 'owners' denied they ever had it,Even though I 'found' it in their display case the week before.

Any way, I was never able to afford another Les Paul until last year, when I picked up a 1983 Standard with the Kahler tremolo and Tim Shaw pickups.

This is similar to my old Les Paul ( but not the same),,,

00103ff9-0dcf-47a3-97de-e9f176829058.JPG

EDIT: picture update

Took a while but here are the pictures of my current Les Paul..

The first couple of photos shows what the guitar looked like when I first got it.

And yes, that is a Roland GK-3 pickup 'screwed' to the body!

KGrHqJHJFcFGmRbhBBR0ZkIyehg60_57.jpg

KGrHqZHJEEFGvim4EYRBR0ZklbQMQ60_57.jpg

KGrHqFHJDkFGCJ0HbPBR0ZkPd-U60_57.jpg

After I removed the GK pickup and the string lock.

100_1129.jpg

100_1130.jpg

100_1132.jpg

LesPaulCase2.jpg

Not the best pictures, but it a least gives you some idea how it looks.

I took the string lock off because 1) it looked like poop and 2) it's easier to change the strings.

The guitar stays in tune just fine.

Oh yeah. I also replaced the aftermarket tuners with the original Klusons off of another 83 that someone put grovers on.

Archived