Gibson Brands Forums

1993 Gibson Chet Atkins "Country Gentleman" need TLC, can't find parts

Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first post on the forum.

I'm on my first Gibson 'parts quest' and it's not going well, for a 1993 chet atkins country genltman SN: 91833423

Any help or advice on where to find more info or order parts would be GREATLY appreciated!!

the hardware holding up the pickguard - totally rusted

the pickup covers - looks like algae growth + rust underneath

They are encrusted with GREEN build-up. Did Gibson make brass covers, or is it possible for a gold cover to turn green?

I don't know if they're gold or brass, But also the magnet pole piece spacing,

I can't seem to find online (even though I found covers).

Apparently they are not the same dimensions as used on Les Pauls (a lot of covers available),

the pole spacing is different for my neck, and bridge pickups!

the pickguard itself is cracked and also looks melted, I'd like replace it.

PU magnet pole pieces - mostly just for looks and to prevent further corrosion - borderline, and of less importance

If you know where I can look for any of this stuff it would be great! Or maybe another forum?

thank you so much,

Jeff Beck

post-64601-029107300 1396913192_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first post on the forum.

I'm on my first Gibson 'parts quest' and it's not going well, for a 1993 chet atkins country genltman SN: 91833423

Any help or advice on where to find more info or order parts would be GREATLY appreciated!!

the hardware holding up the pickguard - totally rusted

the pickup covers - looks like algae growth + rust underneath

They are encrusted with GREEN build-up. Did Gibson make brass covers, or is it possible for a gold cover to turn green?

I don't know if they're gold or brass, But also the magnet pole piece spacing,

I can't seem to find online (even though I found covers).

Apparently they are not the same dimensions as used on Les Pauls (a lot of covers available),

the pole spacing is different for my neck, and bridge pickups!

the pickguard itself is cracked and also looks melted, I'd like replace it.

PU magnet pole pieces - mostly just for looks and to prevent further corrosion - borderline, and of less importance

If you know where I can look for any of this stuff it would be great! Or maybe another forum?

thank you so much,

Jeff Beck

May want to check this out for the pickguard.

Looks like one for the 330 may fit. They may send you dimensions.

http://www.guitar-pa...kguard-es-330-0

Here's my 2004

fa25621a-1b88-499c-ba6d-4fb719e29c93_zpsf885a07d.jpg

Gibson has those... there expensive... I bet 150.00 plus.. then it would be acurate for the guitar.

thanks has what? Pickup covers or pickguard? Do you have a link?

thanks

Jeff

Maui Music

It doesn't seem to have been explained here, although you may already be aware.... The pickguard deterioration (off-gassing) is what's eating up your guitar. You should immediately remove it from this guitar and dispose of it.

As for replacement parts... Nobody (including and especially Gibson) is going to sell specific "Chet Atkins" replacement parts, so your going to have to use/repair/replace with what's existing, or available.

Pickguard: The multi-bound pickguard is most similar to the pickguards of the L-5 or Super 400, NOT an ES. The ES guard is a laminated beveled edge type, not a solid tortoise with binding. Allparts sells a very high quality L-5 replacement guard. I have used these guards and have found them to be of equal or greater quality than the Gibson originals.

http://www.allparts.com/PG-9815-043-Bound-Tortoise-L-5-Pickguard_p_2782.html

As seen in the above link, these PG's do not have the pickup notches cut or screw hole(s) drilled. This will have to be a "custom" fit for your (or any other) guitar. I have only used the Allparts link for reference, you can buy them cheaper from an authorized Allparts retailer.

Pickguard Bracket: This is a standard bracket used by Gibson on all their high-end archtops and semi's. I DO NOT know of an aftermarket exact replacement parts for this. The couple I have bought were of similar design, but not exact replacements. With enough research and searching, you should be able to find a used Gibson original since "parting out" guitars seems to be big business these days. You can then decide to use it as a replacement, or for repair parts.

Pickup Covers: The solution to this is to simply remove the covers (and screws), and have them re-plated. The process is gold electroplating an is not very expensive, although the local shop I use has a "minimum order charge".

Just for your information:

The bridge is the Gibson "Nashville" type. This is a replacement part that Gibson DOES sell through their dealers.

The tuning machines don't show in the picture, but just about every modern tuning machine has been "reissued", or can be replace in-kind.

The tailpiece doesn't show in the picture, but can also be re-plated if needed, might even still be within a "minimum order charge" at a plating company.

All other hardware and electronics are off-the-shelf items. The jack and switch was made by Switchcraft, the potentiometers by CTS.

Again, ALL this damage was done by the off-gassing pickguard. Immediately remove it from the guitar, remove it from the case, remove it from the house. It is emitting toxic gas.

It doesn't seem to have been explained here, although you may already be aware.... The pickguard deterioration (off-gassing) is what's eating up your guitar. You should immediately remove it from this guitar and dispose of it.

As for replacement parts... Nobody (including and especially Gibson) is going to sell specific "Chet Atkins" replacement parts, so your going to have to use/repair/replace with what's existing, or available.

Pickguard: The multi-bound pickguard is most similar to the pickguards of the L-5 or Super 400, NOT an ES. The ES guard is a laminated beveled edge type, not a solid tortoise with binding. Allparts sells a very high quality L-5 replacement guard. I have used these guards and have found them to be of equal or greater quality than the Gibson originals.

http://www.allparts.com/PG-9815-043-Bound-Tortoise-L-5-Pickguard_p_2782.html

As seen in the above link, these PG's do not have the pickup notches cut or screw hole(s) drilled. This will have to be a "custom" fit for your (or any other) guitar. I have only used the Allparts link for reference, you can buy them cheaper from an authorized Allparts retailer.

Pickguard Bracket: This is a standard bracket used by Gibson on all their high-end archtops and semi's. I DO NOT know of an aftermarket exact replacement parts for this. The couple I have bought were of similar design, but not exact replacements. With enough research and searching, you should be able to find a used Gibson original since "parting out" guitars seems to be big business these days. You can then decide to use it as a replacement, or for repair parts.

Pickup Covers: The solution to this is to simply remove the covers (and screws), and have them re-plated. The process is gold electroplating an is not very expensive, although the local shop I use has a "minimum order charge".

Just for your information:

The bridge is the Gibson "Nashville" type. This is a replacement part that Gibson DOES sell through their dealers.

The tuning machines don't show in the picture, but just about every modern tuning machine has been "reissued", or can be replace in-kind.

The tailpiece doesn't show in the picture, but can also be re-plated if needed, might even still be within a "minimum order charge" at a plating company.

All other hardware and electronics are off-the-shelf items. The jack and switch was made by Switchcraft, the potentiometers by CTS.

Again, ALL this damage was done by the off-gassing pickguard. Immediately remove it from the guitar, remove it from the case, remove it from the house. It is emitting toxic gas.

Thank you. SO you think the pickup cover is gold plated, not brass and the green build up is from interaction with the pickguard.

So the pickguard is the one item that *must* be replaced...The Bigsby is about 95% and the tuners look brand new, they each have a flip-out peg winder built in and say gibson on them.

Do you think I can find the pickguard hardware on ebay, or allparts?

Is that the short list for restoring a Gibson? Damn I wish there was more - that's what I was hoping to find.

Do you think even the rust is from the out-gassing? I live in Hawaii and we (the owner and I) figured the green and the rust was the weather (it rains everyday, at least a little).

Thanks,

Jeff

Archived