Gibson Brands Forums

Let sound a cheap amp like a JCM 800!

gibsonfreaky

Hey guys this is my first topic! (excluding my introducing one)

I have a cool idea how to let sound a cheaper amp (hiwatt, transistor marshall...) like a JCM 800

Its verry simple, I looked at You tube vids, and I found that a Guv'nor pedal sounds the same as a marshall JCM 800 Overdrive!

The things you've got to do:

Step 1: Get a Marshall Guv'nor pedal (borrow it or something...)

Step 2: Plug it into your amp (IT MUST BE AN AMP WITH A GOOD CLEAN SOUND!)

Step 3: Find the settings you like...

Step 4: GO ROCKIN' OUT!

ATTENTION:

You MUST HAVE AN AMP WITH GOOD A GOOD CLEAN SOUND!

Without a good clean sound you will never nail it.

Cheers.

PS: Please tell your experience....

Edit (a few hours later...): I agree more with this post:

From what I've heard from a bunch of you guys' date=' it's a great sounding pedal. But, I own a few great sounding pedals with my favorite being the Analogman King of Tone; at home, I plug it into a 1966 Fender Champ and it sounds very good as long as I crank up the amp a bit which brings more of the amp into the equation. I just find it hard to believe that I can buy a $70 pedal, plug it into just about any amp and have it sound like a cranked up $1,500 vintage Marshall.[/quote']

I think a $1,500 vintage marshall is more the amp it sounds like. the Guv'nor sounds like a tube OD :)

Its a cool overdrive to play AC/DC and those things...

+1 for RichCI :-$

I doubt it. There are some great sounding pedals available but I have yet to find one sounds and feels like a cranked up tube amp.

gibsonfreaky, I have to ask: Have you actually tried the pedal yourself or just watched some videos on YouTube? Also, have you ever played through a cranked up Marshall JCM 800? I'm not trying to bust your balls here, I just want to get an idea of what sort of experience your basing your opinion on.

That's pretty much what I mean, Thunder. From what I've heard from a bunch of you guys, it's a great sounding pedal. But, I own a few great sounding pedals with my favorite being the Analogman King of Tone; at home, I plug it into a 1966 Fender Champ and it sounds very good as long as I crank up the amp a bit which brings more of the amp into the equation. I just find it hard to believe that I can buy a $70 pedal, plug it into just about any amp and have it sound like a cranked up $1,500 vintage Marshall.

That's pretty much what I mean' date=' Thunder.[/quote']

I know... I was just elaborating...

I just find it hard to believe that I can buy a $70 pedal' date=' plug it into just about any amp and have it sound like a cranked up $1,500 vintage Marshall.[/quote']

Why not?=D> didnt you hear about the kid that bought a Gibson Les Paul Custom for 300 bucks? or that guy that owns 5 epis that costed him in total less than a gibson les paul studio and each sounds way better than any of our gibsons:-" ?

I just find it hard to believe that I can buy a $70 pedal, plug it into just about any amp and have it sound like a cranked up $1,500 vintage Marshall.

+1

I agree. It may get you into the ballpark but it by no means is "just as good"...but hey, if it it works for some more power to em'.

I doubt it. There are some great sounding pedals available but I have yet to find one sounds and feels like a cranked up tube amp.

gibsonfreaky' date=' I have to ask: Have you actually tried the pedal yourself or just watched some videos on YouTube? Also, have you ever played through a cranked up Marshall JCM 800? I'm not trying to bust your balls here, I just want to get an idea of what sort of experience your basing your opinion on.[/quote']

sure i have a guv'nor...

And i play sometimes JCM 800 amps in music stores =D>

Why not?=D> didnt you hear about the kid that bought a Gibson Les Paul Custom for 300 bucks? or that guy that owns 5 epis that costed him in total less than a gibson les paul studio and each sounds way better than any of our gibsons:-" ?

Woow man!

if that guy his epis who sound way better then our gibbys they must be must be WONDER epis :-s

I have a Guv'nor. Does it sound like my old Marshalls through a good amp of another brand.

No....

If it was that easy everyone would have a $900. Amp and a $70. pedal...

When the hell does school start back???

gibsonfreaky' date=' I have to ask: Have you actually tried the pedal yourself or just watched some videos on YouTube? Also, have you ever played through a cranked up Marshall JCM 800? I'm not trying to bust your balls here, I just want to get an idea of what sort of experience your basing your opinion on.[/quote']

I agree.I'm sure its a fine pedal,but thats about all

Guv'nor -> Good HiFi amp -> 2X12 Celestions = crunch at low volumes for home recording. Much better than POD / amp sims. I'd go for the MI Crunch box - apparently based on the Guv'nor.

Recently, there was a thread about how the transistorized Roland Jazz chorus amps were good with pedals - same thinking.

I agree with Rich and Thunder... while you can emulate the sound of a JCM800 using a pedal' date=' you'll never get the feel of a cranked Marshall stack... and if you have a $70 pedal plugged into a $1000+ tube amp, you're almost better off saving up and getting the real thing.[/quote']

+1 (to you, to rich, and to me).

wat about the roland jazz chorus' date=' and a gov'nor

=P~ [/quote']

What solacematt just said.

Stomp boxes and modeling have come quite a ways from just ten years ago but there is still nothing like the sound and FEEL of raw tubes sweating.

It's difficult to get the feel of a classic tube amp if you can't afford one. Many of us are lucky to have good tube amps, but I still experiment with other possibilities. For anyone on a budget, I would say go ahead and try out your ideas with pedals. You won't be throwing money away, because you'll be able to use them if / when you want to move up to a 'real' amp.

Archived