Gibson Brands Forums

Strap retention questions for a 2014 SG

DubfromGA

I'm waiting on my first Gibson to arrive at my local shop in the next week or so.

It's a 2014 SG Special.

I recently installed a set of Dunlop strap locks on my main guitar (ESP-Ltd-EC) and it was a very simple process and yielded great results.

I do not, however, feel like this solution will work with the SG. One, I don't feel confident at all in running screws behind the neck. Also, i don't think having this thing extend out so far would feel very comfortable at all. It'd poke into my beer gut. I'm trying to loose the beer gut, no doubt, in fact I'm just about to head out to the gyn in a few minutes. :)

1Rk4wsk.jpg?1

7q5sEno.jpg?1

zz8AKvz.jpg?1

I'm wondering how everyone has addressed this issue with their SG's.

Perhaps the factory supplied strap buttons will be sufficient.

Also, I though about just using another Dunlop product, I forget the name, but it's a flat piece that fits on after you put the strap on. It has a twist lock that holds the strap on.

I use Dunlop strap locks on all of my guitars. For my SG and Explorer I use a strap that has the two straplocks opposite each other so I don't have to twist up a big heavy strap, you may want to do the same. No issues with screwing into the neck or having it stick out too far.

rct

I'm waiting on my first Gibson to arrive at my local shop in the next week or so.

It's a 2014 SG Special.

I recently installed a set of Dunlop strap locks on my main guitar (ESP-Ltd-EC) and it was a very simple process and yielded great results.

I do not, however, feel like this solution will work with the SG. One, I don't feel confident at all in running screws behind the neck. Also, i don't think having this thing extend out so far would feel very comfortable at all. It'd poke into my beer gut. I'm trying to loose the beer gut, no doubt, in fact I'm just about to head out to the gyn in a few minutes. :)

I'm wondering how everyone has addressed this issue with their SG's.

Perhaps the factory supplied strap buttons will be sufficient.

Also, I though about just using another Dunlop product, I forget the name, but it's a flat piece that fits on after you put the strap on. It has a twist lock that holds the strap on.

I prefer Dunlops, but just so happen to have Schallers on my SG....they don't stick out as far.

The way the strap buttons are set up on your SG makes it pretty unlikely that it's going to fall unless you do a lot of jumping around and don't hold onto your guitar. I've never had to use strap locks on an SG. I especially would not put a big piece of hardware on the back of the guitar as that would probably get in the way and not be very comfortable. Just put a strap on it and play it and see what you think.

11091466666_3a16f8ba1d.jpg

Grolsch beer grommets.

That may be the exact thing I try.

Gotta make a run for some Grolsch brews.

The way the strap buttons are set up on your SG makes it pretty unlikely that it's going to fall unless you do a lot of jumping around and don't hold onto your guitar. I've never had to use strap locks on an SG. I especially would not put a big piece of hardware on the back of the guitar as that would probably get in the way and not be very comfortable. Just put a strap on it and play it and see what you think.

11091466666_3a16f8ba1d.jpg

Yup.

I'm hoping that the factory piece is sufficient for me, too.

Very sweet collection you have there.

Angus would approve !!!! :)

I run dunlops on my SG just like your set up. The screw is not going to go all the way through the neck by any means. Mine works great and I like the dunlops. I do not see a problem. I understand though but really................in 100 years who would care anyways? It is your guitar, do as you please!! What I can't stand though is when someone takes and add a strap button to an SG horn. I have seen it done to Explorers as well. I hate that but that was their guitar and not mine. Good luck, Tim

That may be the exact thing I try.

Gotta make a run for some Grolsch brews.

They are all I ever use and you get to buy beer. Winning!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously [thumbup]

I learned of that ridiculous concept on this forum.

And since I really like Grolsch I figure I had nothing to loose. I buy them anyway.

So I thought I would give it a try and have a good laugh.

And I'll be damned if they didn't work like a champion.

I swear the strap or the screw will go before that grommet.

Fit's perfect. It's free. The beer are excellent. And they really work!!

I use ONLY Dunlops on back mounted straps, if you're concerned about "push through" into the neck, just clip the last 2 threads off the screw.....done it on 4 SGs, 2 Sheratons, & a Flying V and never had an issue.

and yes, reverse the lock on the neck end.....makes life much easier.

I use Dunlop strap locks on all of my guitars. For my SG and Explorer I use a strap that has the two straplocks opposite each other so I don't have to twist up a big heavy strap, you may want to do the same. No issues with screwing into the neck or having it stick out too far.

rct

i use Shealer strap locks but do the same thing. I have one strap with both ends opposite for the SG and another strap for everything else!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived