Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Pro Toggle Problem

fitzsuffices

Hi everyone,

So I just purchased a 2014 Les Paul Studio Pro in Black Cherry. I love it so far, wanted to get a Les Paul for a long time and this one seems perfect for me :) But there is an issue with the toggle switch and bridge pickup.

In rhythm position the neck pickup plays fine, and the toggle switch stays securely in that position.

Once moved to middle position, the toggle switch becomes more loose, but it stays in that position fine.

However, once moved to treble position, it becomes loose enough to be a problem. It must be delicately moved halfway between middle and all the way down to actually turn on the bridge pickup. Also, if moved all the way into treble position, the neck pickup is turned on instead and the bridge pickup cuts out.

The guitar was shipped to me like this, so the electronics could have been bumped around during shipping. Is this normal behavior, or should I take it in to the shop for servicing?

That's not normal and whoever you bought it from should take care of it for you. Just remember that if the guitar is a real nice player and you don't want to risk shipping it back and forth, a toggle switch is an easy repair. Just something to think about. Congrats on the new LP!

Sounds to me like the switch is not mounted high enough through the body of the guitar to allow full and proper travel of the toggle. What happens is the knurled retaining nut stops the travel of the toggle tip (sometimes just the plastic tip) so as not to allow it to seat properly in it's "detent".

This is very easy to determine by removing the plastic tip and see if the switch, and pickups, operate properly. IF all's well without the plastic tip, all you need to do is adjust the switch height.

To do this remove the back access cover, unscrew the knurled finish nut from the top of the guitar, push the switch down into the control cavity to a point where you can adjust the stop nut on the switch under the guitar top. Screw this stop nut down further toward the body of the switch (or in extreme cases, remove it altogether). Push the switch back up through the hole in the top, reassemble and test.

Sounds to me like the switch is not mounted high enough through the body of the guitar to allow full and proper travel of the toggle. What happens is the knurled retaining nut stops the travel of the toggle tip (sometimes just the plastic tip) so as not to allow it to seat properly in it's "detent".

This is very easy to determine by removing the plastic tip and see if the switch, and pickups, operate properly. IF all's well without the plastic tip, all you need to do is adjust the switch height.

To do this remove the back access cover, unscrew the knurled finish nut from the top of the guitar, push the switch down into the control cavity to a point where you can adjust the stop nut on the switch under the guitar top. Screw this stop nut down further toward the body of the switch (or in extreme cases, remove it altogether). Push the switch back up through the hole in the top, reassemble and test.

None of my Les Paul guitar toggle switches came with a stop nut under the guitar top... [confused]

That makes adjustment much harder. Wood removal would then be necessary.

None of my guitars needed ever adjustment of a toggle switch, just retightening. The very problem of all of these has been finish shrinkage I guess, so they went loose. Sadly those of my Gibson Les Paul guitars came stock with transition resistances due to dust or spray and needed thorough cleaning, using lots of contact cleaner and filter paper.

Hi everyone,

So I just purchased a 2014 Les Paul Studio Pro in Black Cherry. I love it so far, wanted to get a Les Paul for a long time and this one seems perfect for me :) But there is an issue with the toggle switch and bridge pickup.

In rhythm position the neck pickup plays fine, and the toggle switch stays securely in that position.

Once moved to middle position, the toggle switch becomes more loose, but it stays in that position fine.

However, once moved to treble position, it becomes loose enough to be a problem. It must be delicately moved halfway between middle and all the way down to actually turn on the bridge pickup. Also, if moved all the way into treble position, the neck pickup is turned on instead and the bridge pickup cuts out.

The guitar was shipped to me like this, so the electronics could have been bumped around during shipping. Is this normal behavior, or should I take it in to the shop for servicing?

Yeah id take that back and get the shop to do it.. its certainly not normal...

As been mentioned though its a really easy job so shouldn't be an issue even if they have to replace the switch...

Playing with the guitar a bit more before taking it to the shop. I noticed that once toggled all the way to treble position, the pickups behave more like it's in middle position. The sound can be controlled by both volume pots. However, move the toggle up just a little bit, and it's only the bridge pickup active. Move it a bit further back still, and both pickups play as in middle position. Does this make a difference? I'm dropping by the shop for other supplies tomorrow, figured I would ask the guys there first before bringing in the guitar. I'd prefer not to send it away for too long [wub]

I take it that you have no knowledge at all of guitar electrics. As it is a new guitar the shop should sort it for you quickly and easily for free. Even if they replace the switch, one hours work would be more than enough with no need to send it away anywhere. I would do this on one of my guitars in about fifteen minutes. If it is a wire interfering with the operation of the switch (assuming it is a blade switch) then it should be obvious if you remove the switch cavity cover and have a look. Moving a wire may sort it in this case unless the contact blades are bent through operating the switch with a wire trapped in it.

If you are keen to learn it would be well worth picking up a cheap guitar (loads of Les Paul copies out there for next to nothing) and a guitar repair book (such as Dan Erlewine's 'Guitar Player Repair Guide' or Melvyn Hiscock's 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' ) and having a go. I did just that to learn set up and adjustment and electrical repair and modification, and now I sort my own problems without recourse to expensive 'luthiers' or shop assistants who may not do a good job for you but charge the earth.

It really is not rocket science. Most people are just afraid to have a go in case they foul up, but it really is worth doing.

Rock on!

Archived