Gibson Brands Forums

Neck relief?

Yes I understand that every guitar is different so to an owners individual preference. Perhaps I should have asked what the factory spec tolerances are within a certain range for relief before they're shipped out? Am I right in assuming a Gibson hummingbird would be a tad higher in average than say a freshly made std/ vintage series Martin 14 fret square shoulder dread with their flatter fretboard radius? I'm starting out with a straight neck and just trying to work out a starting point to work from. Of courses there are other variables at play..nut, saddle, frets and playing wear just for starters. But I assume this is nothing new to you.

Personal advice is never mess with a valuable guitar until much prior experience obtained..

A 'straight' neck IMO is never a good starting point

Read around the subject comprehensively first before using any tools...

Enjoy... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Well a totally 'straight' neck under string tension would be difficult to play? I don't know really because I don't think I ever have. My prior comments should have stated that I'm looking at my guitar under no string tension and just checking out the fret board and frets to see what work it needs. Nut and saddle are next. Top deflection just behind bridge looks ok and the rest of the top too. Like my prior thread question I'm just trying to get the guitar where I would ultimately like it to be. Whether I do some/ all the work myself or pay another person remains to be seen. At least I can get a clearer mind on how/ where things that need to be adjusted to my liking should be after experimenting. I haven't damaged anything up to this point other than wear and tear of playing. I'm not a collector. I have no warranty living outside the US. But I really like the guitar and having had a couple of set ups by well experienced highly regarded luthier, I feel the time has come to learn more to how I want it to be. Nobody knows more than your good self on how your guitar plays right? Hence I thought I'd ask what relief tolerances Gibson Montana ship out their hummingbirds with? I want to start from somewhere when I first played it again.

Archived