Gibson Brands Forums

1959 Gibson Es-125

bo huggabee

I recently acquired a near pristine 59 Es-125…i ABSOLUTELY love the guitar. the people at the open mic loved it, and i received tons of attention for it. I have a question. how many Gibson Es-125's were produced in 1959? i'm having a hard time finding out the information, if any, about the year or the guitar. When i purchased the instrument, the store mentioned only 39 were produced in total. I'd like to be able to verify this. as i'm inclined to know which one i have. the serial number states 32.

Guest GarrettH

According to A. R. Duchossoir's research for shipping records in 1959, there were:

(2,072) ES-125T

(295) ES-125T 3/4

(302) ES-125 TD

According to A. R. Duchossoir's research for shipping records in 1959, there were:

(2,072) ES-125T

(295) ES-125T 3/4

(302) ES-125 TD

Not sure why you chose to post only data about the thin-line versions of the ES-125, since the question only referred to an "ES-125".

Anyway, there were 1,674 full depth ES-125's produced in 1959.

i'm having a hard time finding out the information, if any, about the year or the guitar.

If you're not sure it's a '59, what is the serial number? Is there an "S" stamped in front of the factory order number?

When i purchased the instrument, the store mentioned only 39 were produced in total. I'd like to be able to verify this. as i'm inclined to know which one i have.

Too many people (dealers and collectors alike) put too much importance on of the number of instruments produced during a given year. What's more important in terms of rarity and value is how many were produced in total (all years of production). In other words, if they had indeed only made 39 ES-125's in 1959 (instead of 1,674), while making 1,528 in 1958, and 739 in 1960, that wouldn't make the '59 examples more desirable or valuable. They're the same guitar as a '58. Other than the occasional collector who might want a '59 because they were born that year, nobody is going to pay more for a '59 than a '58 just because fewer were made in '59.

the serial number states 32.

The serial number doesn't indicate anything about the production total, if that's what you meant.

At any rate, ES-125's were lower-end, mass produced guitars, not rare or highly desirable to most collectors. Good guitars though (with one of the iconic pickup designs), and the important thing is that you're using it and enjoying it.

Not sure why you chose to post only data about the thin-line versions of the ES-125, since the question only referred to an "ES-125".

If you're not sure it's a '59, what is the serial number? Is there an "S" stamped in front of the factory order number?

Too many people (dealers and collectors alike) put too much importance on of the number of instruments produced during a given year. What's more important in terms of rarity and value is how many were produced in total (all years of production). In other words, if they had indeed only made 39 ES-125's in 1959 (instead of 1,674), while making 1,528 in 1958, and 739 in 1960, that wouldn't make the '59 examples more desirable or valuable. They're the same guitar as a '58. Other than the occasional collector who might want a '59 because they were born that year, nobody is going to pay more for a '59 than a '58 just because fewer were made in '59.

The serial number doesn't indicate anything about the production total, if that's what you meant.

At any rate, ES-125's were lower-end, mass produced guitars, not rare or highly desirable to most collectors. Good guitars though (with one of the iconic pickup designs), and the important thing is that you're using it and enjoying it.

agree w/all Jim said, though depending on what time of the year it was made [early or late] a '59 will have the perfect medium size neck that a lot of people desire. a '58 will likely have a bigger neck.

Yes it is a full body, not the thin line. the serial starts with an Sxxx 32. i'm not worried about the value, just how many were produced. if only 39 were produced that year, and they change manufacturing a bit, the neck size, fret size, and pickups…etc. it does effect a player's opinion and thus collectibility, playability, and even tonal property. year also effects the value due to the age, a 58 can be worth more that a 59, but it's more about what someone is willing to pay. why else would the 59 burst be so sought after, before a 58 or 60, neck sizes are the only variables there, and neck thickness effects tone. i have a 55 j45, and it's value doesn't exceed that of a 54, 53 or 52 in the same condition rating. but i prefer the 55 because it's got different bracing, does the extra fret matter? not really since it's not cutaway. thanks very much for the reply on production numbers for that year. and i agree, they were entry level guitars for arch tops, BUT, they are still of better quality than most of Gibson's top line guitars that are being sold today, just because of the hide glue. also the neck is the identical feel of my 50th anniversary r9, which was a huge selling point for me!

agree w/all Jim said, though depending on what time of the year it was made [early or late] a '59 will have the perfect medium size neck that a lot of people desire. a '58 will likely have a bigger neck.

it has the perfect neck for me, the EXACT feel of my 50th anniversary r9, IT'S JUST AMAZING, AND IT'S ALL ORIGINAL FRET WORK AS WELL! closest i've gotten to feeling what a 59 burst would feel like. SOME DAY I WILL GET TO PLAY, HOLD, HOPEFULLY OWN A VINTAGE BURST.

if only 39 were produced that year, and they change manufacturing a bit, the neck size, fret size, and pickups…etc. it does effect a player's opinion and thus collectibility, playability, and even tonal property.

I can understand your point here, if all of those things were true in this case (which they aren't).

year also effects the value due to the age, a 58 can be worth more that a 59, but it's more about what someone is willing to pay.

Sorry, I don't follow you here. Unless there are other factors involved (as you point out), there's no reason for a '58 (of any model) to be worth more than a '59 simply because it's 56 years old instead of 55 years old.

why else would the 59 burst be so sought after, before a 58 or 60

? Apples and oranges. You can't compare the importance of the differences between a '58 and '59 Burst with the differences between a '58 and '59 ES-125. The importance of those differences is magnified greatly in the case of the Les Pauls, for obvious reasons.

I can understand your point here, if all of those things were true in this case (which they aren't).

Sorry, I don't follow you here. Unless there are other factors involved (as you point out), there's no reason for a '58 (of any model) to be worth more than a '59 simply because it's 56 years old instead of 55 years old.

? Apples and oranges. You can't compare the importance of the differences between a '58 and '59 Burst with the differences between a '58 and '59 ES-125. The importance of those differences is magnified greatly in the case of the Les Pauls, for obvious reasons.

every change is still a start to the extreme, and matters even if it's the small man(es125) or the great man(les paul). perhaps you are right, but when you consider the label "vintage" and "antique". does the value of a guitar when it turns 20, become more valuable just by one year to those still at 19? (trying not to make a counter argument by stating changes in manufacturing). this could be a new thread, "can any guitar be worth more because of age without considering manufacturing as it's evaluate factor." very tough question, we'd need an example instrument that hasn't changed at all through the years, without considering wood age. so who knows, the age of the wood its self could be the deciding factor there.

every change is still a start to the extreme, and matters even if it's the small man(es125) or the great man(les paul). perhaps you are right, but when you consider the label "vintage" and "antique". does the value of a guitar when it turns 20, become more valuable just by one year to those still at 19? (trying not to make a counter argument by stating changes in manufacturing). this could be a new thread, "can any guitar be worth more because of age without considering manufacturing as it's evaluate factor." very tough question, we'd need an example instrument that hasn't changed at all through the years, without considering wood age. so who knows, the age of the wood its self could be the deciding factor there.

[confused]

"Vintage" is not purely a matter of age (and 20 years certainly would not be the cutoff point... that seems to be a growing myth). As I said, value does not depend so specifically on age. It never has.

• 2 years later...

[confused]

"Vintage" is not purely a matter of age (and 20 years certainly would not be the cutoff point... that seems to be a growing myth). As I said, value does not depend so specifically on age. It never has.

sorry for my reply two years later. were the pickups braided in 59 for the p90's on the es125, or were they cloth? i definitely know its brazilian rosewood, as i recognize the heavenly scent, so it has to be pre-64 if i remember right on the ban. part of me is worried the pickup may have been switched before i bought it. so i'm curious about the wiring, since i am having a hard time researching. thanks again for all your help

sorry for my reply two years later. were the pickups braided in 59 for the p90's on the es125, or were they cloth?

Don't know. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

i definitely know its brazilian rosewood, as i recognize the heavenly scent, so it has to be pre-64 if i remember right on the ban.

? The fingerboard? The bridge? Don't know why you're bringing this up though, because your guitar dates to 1959 anyway. :unsure: At any rate, the rosewood restrictions came into effect several years after 1964. More like 1969 to 1970.

part of me is worried the pickup may have been switched before i bought it. so i'm curious about the wiring, since i am having a hard time researching. thanks again for all your help

Photos might help, for all the pickup experts. I wouldn't be too worried about it, though, since an ES-125 is more of a utilitarian instrument than a collector's item.

Archived