Gibson Brands Forums

Do You Recognise This Particular ES335 Wiring ?

Andy54

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me on this wiring quandary. Attached is a photo of the wiring from a 1998 ES335 that I'm wrestling with. It has a tone pot that doesn't vary the tone so I'll need to replace that and the cap.

I've had a good look at google images and as you can see, it doesn't seem to be either modern or vintage in that it simply has a .022 cap on each pot with no cap between the tone and volume pots.

So what do you think is it standard wiring of the 90's or has it been 'modified' ? Is there a good case to wire to a modern/vintage setup ?

Es335.tiff

It looks like normal production wiring for an ES guitar. It looks similiar to the way my 339 is wired although the caps in this photo are different. Easier for production to put it into the ES guitar rather than the way it all goes into a Les Paul. Stretching the cap between the 2 pots and then threading it into an ES must have led to broken connections and this way solved it. Maybe I'm wrong.

ES339-wiring.jpg

It looks like normal production wiring for an ES guitar. It looks similiar to the way my 339 is wired although the caps in this photo are different. Easier for production to put it into the ES guitar rather than the way it all goes into a Les Paul. Stretching the cap between the 2 pots and then threading it into an ES must have led to broken connections and this way solved it. Maybe I'm wrong.

ES339-wiring.jpg

Thanks. For some reason when I google wiring diagrams for ES335 the search comes up with drawings that look like Les Paul setups so I was a bit confused. The harness in the photo looks like it has better quality caps than the standard ceramic standard issue from Gibson. There seems to be a lot of replacement harness available on the the net. Maybe the better informed know what's needed to get the best tone ?

The harness is a factory harness but has different caps. It was installed when the guitar was built. The caps in the photo are Russian K40y-9 400 volt paper-in-oil caps.

Archived