Gibson Brands Forums

Flatwound strings

jpaskell

I have read that the the strings on a stock ES339 are O.K. but I prefer Flat Wound strings.

Is there an issue with the nut, as I realize flat wounds are bit "thinner" than the standard strings.

I could be wrong, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Jim

I'd say you'd be ok too... depending on the specific string set. For example, I use 9-42 on a number of my flattops that came with 11s and no problem. In theory I'd say you'd have more problems if the strings were bigger and didn't fit in the nut, or would bind. OTOH, in some cases smaller strings can move around at the nut and something would need to be done.

I'd say it'd be more of a difficulty on the average "board" or "semi" electric to put on heavier strings because they're generally designed for 9s or 10s.

There may be some difference in setup, too, with some sorts of strings assuming they have significantly less or more tension than factory and would require messing with the overall setup, neck etc.

m

Jim...

They're not easy to find, but there are 9-38 or 42 flats available with an unwound G... LaBella has the 9-38.

Depends on what you want for gauge, playing prefs, etc.

m

Thanks Milod,

Moving from a Jazzmaster to an Epiphone semi hollow body, I don't believe I will be, able to get he same action, so I'm not really sure where I will end up. Trying to keep in line with Guage that came with the Epiphone, I'm gonna put on a set of D'Addario chromes flatwound 10/48.

I'll see how it works,

Thanks again for the input,

Jim

It'll be a huge difference from the Jazzmaster.

Shorter scale; flatter fingerboard; totally different geometry.

For what it's worth, I have two Dots... They're not my total favorites for most of what I do, but they're "take out" for anything electric in a group. Mostly I prefer fatter guitars like full hollow archtops with the shorter scale.

I find the Jazzmaster very awkward to play and don't care for it at all for what I do. A band partner loved his and it simply was part of him.

To me the full-size semi requires a different "hold" and playing geometry concept than my archtops and even flattops. Oddly the SG didn't seem to require such a conscious change.

Best of luck.

BTW, my Dots, as my other electrics except one archtop, wear 9-42 Elixir Polyweb. I'm using the one archtop for string experimentation. But... back in the mid '60s most rock guys I knew (including me) used the lightest flats they could for Ricks and Gibbie semis... I prefer the roundwounds for a little livelier sound, and the lighter strings 'cuz I fingerpick doggone nearly anything except some dreads I strum for old-time/bluegrass.

m

Thanks Milod,

Moving from a Jazzmaster to an Epiphone semi hollow body, I don't believe I will be, able to get he same action, so I'm not really sure where I will end up. Trying to keep in line with Guage that came with the Epiphone, I'm gonna put on a set of D'Addario chromes flatwound 10/48.

I'll see how it works,

Thanks again for the input,

Jim

I use the very same strings on my Gretsch Tennessee Rose, My Epi ES-335, and my Epi P93. I have had no issues at all.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Bender,

Thanks for the information. I have already purchased a set of 10-48 D'addario chromes from amazon for $ 11.79. I have Rondo bookmarked and will keep in touch with them and Sweetwater. They seem to be about the best.

Thanks again,

Jim

• 2 years later...

Some folks love 'flats' for their smoother tone and finger feel...

Personal journey includes stainless 13-56 flats on an ES165....enjoyed them for a while and then reverted to rounds...eventually down to 10-46...

The Jazzmaster IMO is an under-rated gem.... [thumbup]

Originally offered as an 'alternative' to all those pesky Gibson archtops in the W.O.J.(World of Jazz).... [biggrin]

Never really gelled as a jazzer but found favour as a surfer, rocker and blueser...

IMO makes a super foil to everyman's Strat and Tele quiver

V

:-({|=

In the late 90s I had a '79 Guild X-500 with TI 12 flats. Beautiful, ungodly warm and nice strings. I had tried several brands, gauges, round vs flat, hybrid, all that. I kept putting the used TIs back on. Sweet strings! A little over a year ago I bought the D'Aquisto and couldn't WAIT to get TI's on it. They were horrible. I swear my fingertips burned after playing it 5 minutes. I don't know what happened, whether it was just a bum set or if they changed. I went with Chromes.... good old standby D'Addarios.

I have read that the the strings on a stock ES339 are O.K. but I prefer Flat Wound strings.

Is there an issue with the nut, as I realize flat wounds are bit "thinner" than the standard strings.

I could be wrong, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Jim

You don't have to re-cut your nut slots every time you change string gauge, there's a lot of leeway there.

In the late 90s I had a '79 Guild X-500 with TI 12 flats. Beautiful, ungodly warm and nice strings. I had tried several brands, gauges, round vs flat, hybrid, all that. I kept putting the used TIs back on. Sweet strings! A little over a year ago I bought the D'Aquisto and couldn't WAIT to get TI's on it. They were horrible. I swear my fingertips burned after playing it 5 minutes. I don't know what happened, whether it was just a bum set or if they changed. I went with Chromes.... good old standby D'Addarios.

Oh no what gauge

Oh no what gauge

I'm not positive but I think 11-50? It truly could have been a bum set, or even just that one string. I would definitely try them again, it's just complicated by their cost and not being able to buy them locally. It'll happen, just not right away.

Archived