Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L series identification

I'm looking at trading for, what appears to be, a gibson archtop acoustic guitar. Im trying to figure out just what it is. It doesn't have a truss rod cover so I'm assuming there is no truss rod. From what I've read, gibson was running short on good supplies during the war and skimped on details, such as truss rods, and called these guitars "floor sweepers". The headstock shape,tuner placement, paint and body look to be accurate based on what I've seen but, I'm in no way an expert. I dont know if it could be a copy because the logo looks a little suspicious. I still plan on going for it because, the deal is good and the guy is very nice has been honest about what he has. Any help in identifying a possible model number and authenticity would be very appreciated.

post-64667-020172700 1397058143_thumb.jpg

post-64667-039966900 1397058313_thumb.jpg

post-64667-047770700 1397058331_thumb.jpg

Looks to be a "Harmony" brand guitar built in Chicago (probably in the 50's) with a reshaped peghead and "Gibson" waterslide logo decal. I have a very similar one that used to hang on the wall as ART. The fact it has no truss rod is a major concern, as there is no way to counter the effects of time and tension on the neck.

In playable condition it's worth about $75, as wall art it's worth about $50.

The two most famous Chicago musical instrument manufactures, Kay and Harmony, built some very fine instruments. Their designs and craftsmanship paralleled the big guys, but the reason they could sell $30 archtops when Gibsons were $50, was the materials used. Gibson built necks out of maple or mahogany, they used poplar. Gibson carved bodies out of maple and spruce, they "pressed" bodies out of plywood.

Archived